The Registration Cum Membership Certificate (RCMC) is a certificate of authorization to import or export products restricted under the Foreign Trade Policy (FTP). It is usually issued by the Export Promotion Councils(EPCs), Commodity Boards and Export Development Authorities established by the Director General of Foreign Trade for each restricted product. RCMC also acts as proof of membership/registration of an exporter with a particular EPC/Commodity Board/Export Development Authority. RCMC is obtained to avail concession provided under the FTP for the import/export of restricted items.
Registering Authorities are empowered to issue RCMC to the exporter/importers. The DGFT authorizes the Export Promotion Councils, Commodity Boards and Export Development Authority to act as registering authorities. They are an organization of exporters formed to promote and develop the Indian Export industry. Each authority is responsible for promotion of a particular group of products.
Currently, there are 35 organizations working towards the promotion of import/export of restricted items. These organizations, after being authorized by the DGFT, can issue RCMC.
- 27 Export Promotion Councils
- 6 Commodity Boards
- 2 Development authorities
Why Do You Need Membership
- EPCs, Commodity Board and Export Development Authorities work with Better Governance with much Transparency
- Effectively Controlled by Central Government
- Allows participation of members in governance by way of e-voting facility in election of Vice Chairman
Applying for RCMC
Each registering authority has its own procedure in issuing RCMC. The mode of issuing RCMC is both online and offline. The applicant has to fill in the online application form and has to submit the hard copy to the registered office of the registering authority. Agriculture and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) is the only authority which has a completely computerised system for issuing RCMC. The application for RCMC is filed using the common application ANF 2C form with all the registering authorities.
- Entrance fee for New Registration Rs. 1180/-
- Annual Fee Rs. 9440/-
Eligibility For Member Exporter
In addition to the qualifications of a Registered Exporter, the Applicant must have the following.
- The aggregate export performance of clothes of the firm/company is quite Rs. 1 crore during the previous three financial years.
Kinds of Exporters/Importers Covered
- Manufacturing Exporter/Importer (the applicant has to provide evidence as to Manufacturing Facility)
- Merchant Exporter/Importer
- Service Provider
Determining the Suitable Registering Authority
- The Registering Authority from which the applicant has to obtain his RCMC depends on his main line of Business
- Each line of Business has a separate Registering Authorityr
Federation of Indian Export Organization is the Apex Body controlling all the Export Promotion Councils, Commodity Boards and Export Development Authorities. Not every EPCs is empowered to issue RCMC. The FIEO issues RCMC for the following categories
- Applicant whose main line of Business is not covered under any of the existing Registering Authorities
- Applicant whose main line of business is not settled
- Applicant with Export/Import of Multiple Products
- Service Providers as notified by the Handbook of Procedures issued by DGFT
Prerequisites for Obtaining RCMC
- Import Export Code
- Digital Signature Certificate
Common Documents Required
Each Registering Authority requires their own set of documents for obtaining RCMC. However, some of the common documents required by all Authorities are
- PAN Card
- Articles and Memorandum of Association (For Corporate/institutional/Private Limited/ Limited company), Partnership Deed (in case of Partnership firms and LLPs), or Trust Deed (in case of Trusts).
- GST registration certificate.
- In the case of a service exporter already in business, three years’ services export data certified by the exporter’s Chartered Accountant has to be provided. Proof of payment of membership fee to the Services Export Promotion Council (SEPC) also has to be provided.
If membership is not renewed in the preceding year, then membership will be ceased and a fresh membership needs to be obtained for being a member in next preceding years.
Each Registering Authority will have their own fee depending on the type of product being imported/exported.
Validity of RCMC Issued
- RCMC issued is valid for a period of five years
- The validity period can be varied by the Registering Authority at its discretion
Compliance after RCMC
- Any change in Constitution, Ownership, name/address of the the RCMC holder has to be communicated to the Registering Authority within 30 days of the change
- The RCMC holder as to submit quarterly returns with respect to the status of Import/Export
- Violation of the conditions of issue of RCMC leads to cancellation of RCMC
Benefits Obtained under Foreign Trade Policy
By obtaining RCMC, the exporter/importer will get concessions and schemes under the Foreign Trade Policy of the Country. Some of them are
- Advance Authorization Scheme
- Advance Authorization for annual requirement Scheme
- Duty-Free Import Authorization (DFIA) Scheme
- Duty Drawback of Customs/Central Excise Duties/Service Tax
- Rebate of Service tax through all industry rates
- Zero duty EPCG scheme
As per the Guidelines issued by DGFT, it is mandatory for all exporters to obtain RCMC if they are involved in the export/import of restricted items.
No. Each product has its own Authority in the name of Export Promotion Council or Commodity Boards or Export Development Authority.
These Authorities are specifically authorized by the DGFT to issue RCMC. So it is sufficient to obtain RCMC from these authorities alone.
Each Authority is responsible for one of each restricted item. Depending on the applicant’s main line of business, the Applicant has to approach the concerned authority to get his RCMC
In cases of Multiple Product Export, the applicant has to approach the Federation of Indian Export Organization (FIRO) to get his RCMC. FIEO is the apex controlling body of all Export Promotion Councils, Commodity Boards and Export Development Authorities
Merchant Exporters, Manufacturing Exporters and Service Exporters. Manufacturing Exporters have to produce evidence as to their manufacturing facility.
Federation of Indian Export Organization.
FIRO covers all services except for the following 14 services.
- Health Care Services including services by nurses, physiotherapist and paramedical personnel
- Educational Services
- Entertainment Services including audio-visual services
- Consultancy Services
- Architectural Services and related services
- Distribution Services
- Accounting/ Auditing and Bookkeeping Services
- Environment Services
- Maritime Transport Services
- Advertising Services
- Marketing Research and Public Opinion Polling Services/ Management Services
- Printing and Publishing
- Legal Services
- Hotel and tourism-related services
No. RCMC issued by each Authority varies according to the rules of the Authority. For example, RCMC issued by AEPC has to be renewed every year while RCMC issued by the Authority
Yes. The Import-Export Code is mandatory for obtaining RCMC from all authorities. RCMC issued against the IE Code of the Proprietor.
20 Working Days
Just tell us a little bit about your business and you'll have your Spice Board-RCMC in 30 working days (subject to government approval). It's that simple.
9.1 Customer Score
We make your interaction with the government as smooth as possible and we will be doing all the application work for you. We will also give you absolute clarity on the process to set realistic expectations.
160 Strong Team
Our team of experienced business advisors are a phone call away, should you have any queries about the process. But we'll try to ensure that your doubts are cleared before they even arise