We all know that you can legally change your name by following a specific procedure. But what are the most common reasons for doing so? Let’s find out.
Your name reflects who you are, but many people are unhappy with their names and want to change them as their name does not really reflect who they are or their personality. Luckily, our legal system can help out in such situations, as there is a provision to cater to such dilemmas.
But, first, let’s understand why people wish to opt for a name change before looking into the procedure followed in India.
Reasons for a Name Change in India
- Marriage – In India, it is customary for the wife to add her husband’s surname to her name. In such a case, a name change on important documents is required.
- Divorce – When a marriage ends, many women return to their maiden name, dispelling the surname of their former husband. In this case, as well, they must go through the name change procedure.
- Dislike towards Current Name – It is not uncommon for people to dislike their given name and wish to change it. In this case, they can seek a name change. When it comes to naming changes, there is a specific procedure that must be followed.
- Religious Reasons – You would have often noticed people adding an extra letter to their name or changing the spelling of their name. This is mainly because of numerological or astrological reasons. There are even many celebrities who do so. In such a case, one has to go for the name change process.
- Political Context – Many politicians or the ones who have political aspirations also go for a name change to establish a regional connection with the people. Some add titles to their name such as “Jai Hind”, “Swaraj”, “Bharat”, “Bharatiya”, etc.
- Change of Gender – When someone wants to go for gender change, then the next step is to go for the name change.
- Identity Makeover – Some may opt to change their names for a variety of reasons, such as professional image or conversion to a different religion.
What Is the Procedure for a Name Change?
There is a set of protocols that one needs to follow during a name change. One can follow the steps mentioned below to change a name:
- The first step is to draw up and notarize an affidavit stating that you intend to change your name.
- Once the affidavit work is done, you need to publish an advertisement in the newspaper stating that you have opted for a name change. The advertisement should disclose both the old name and the new name.
- The applicant then needs to get the same published in the Gazette of India.
Once you have completed all of the necessary steps for a name change, the next step is to get your name changed on important documents such as your PAN card, Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID card, ration card, and so on.
We will now discuss the procedure for the name change on a PAN card.
What Are the Various Documents Required for a Name Change on the PAN Card?
If you have gone for the name change process for any of the reasons mentioned above, you will be required to change your name on the PAN card as well. Before you go ahead and apply for updating the same, you will be required to have certain documents handy with you:
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Date of Birth
- Aadhaar card
- Newspaper advertisement that you have gone for a name change
- Gazette publication
Name Change on PAN Card in India
There have been cases where the wrong name or an old name has remained on a PAN card. When you want to get this changed, you must apply for it officially. The steps below will be advantageous to you in understanding the process:
- If you are applying for a name change online, then you can place the request via TIN-NSDL or UTIITSL. Or else you can click on this link https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correction.html.
- Fill up the form and update the information. Add your identity proof, address prod, and DOB.
- Next, you will have to pay the required nominal fee. You can make an online payment via debit card, credit card, or net banking.
- On the application’s hard copy, you will have to paste your passport size photograph and sign it. Mail this form to the official NSDL address. Make sure to add your address proof, ID proof, date of birth certificate, and a copy of your PAN card along with the application form.
You can also update your name online by authenticating the same with your Aadhaar card. The entire process can be done online, as the authentication is done via Aadhaar-based OTP verification. To use this service, you must first link your new name and register your mobile number with Aadhaar.
The steps outlined above will make the process of changing your name easier. When applying for a name change on your PAN card, make sure you have all of the necessary documents with you. In fact, we recommend that you get in touch with the experts at Vakilsearch to secure a truly hassle-free name change experience.