In accordance with Section 22 of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019, the government has drafted the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020. It states that if a person's current gender preference does not coincide with their gender at birth, they may fix the discrepancy by medically changing their gender. To change the gender or sexual orientation on a passport, go to Passport Seva's website or one of their centers to obtain Form 002, or a form for "miscellaneous services," and fill it out. Let’s see in detail through this article.
First of all, a person must file a gender change affidavit when they intend to change their gender. In order to get the format in the city, it is better to approach any LGBT-friendly advocates or groups. Some general details should be mentioned in the affidavit such as the old name new name, the father’s name, address, and the reason for changing gender. This affidavit needs to be notarized right away by a notary public who has their recent photo on file. Because the affidavit must include a photo in order to update ID changes, this must be done.
Medical documents that are required
1) GID (Gender Identity Disorder)/GD (Gender Dysphoria) letter
2) HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) initiation letter
3) Any kind of surgery documents that adds value to the whole scenario
Advertisements In the newspaper
Advertisements for the change should appear in one newspaper, one in the national newspaper, and one in the regional newspaper. At least five copies of the newspaper should be saved because they can be needed when applying for various IDs.
Application for Aadhar card
One should visit their nearest Aadhar Enrolment Centre for updating their Gender change details. It is better to visit the Government Enrolment Centre instead of a third-party vendor. One should be honest with their explanations to the officer in charge about why they are willing to change details.
The name change can be generally done by submitting a copy of the affidavit, or newspaper advertisement, and by filling up the correction form available at the enrolment center. Gender can be self-identified. Not many ask for medical proof. But it is always better to carry medical documents.
If in case, the affidavit is not sufficient, then a copy of the gazette publication of the name change or certificate of identity that has a photo issued by the Gazetted Officer can also be provided.
Central Gazette Publication
Gazette publication is required in changing educational documents and bank account Details. If one wants to get these details changed then one should go ahead with this step. It is better to go for a Central Gazette Publication instead of a State Gazette as it holds a higher legal value.
1) Newspaper advertisement in the required format
2) Present Address Proof (Rental Agreement in case of a rented house)
3) GID/GD Letter.
Application for PAN Card
- One can apply for PAN online or at any PAN correction center at the nearest place.
1) Filled out PAN Card Correction Form
3) Newspaper Advertisement or Gazette publication copy or Certificate of Identity that has a photo issued by the Gazetted Officer
4) Recent photograph
5) Address Proof
Update of Bank Account Details
- Visit the home branch of the bank to get the bank account details changed.
2) Newspaper publication copies
3) Gazette Publication
4) Any two ID cards with the new name (PAN Card or AADHAR Card or Voter ID)
Prepare and have a magistrate notarize a gender change affidavit (male to female, male to transgender, female to male, or female to transgender: all these options are acknowledged). Place two newspaper ads, then a notice in the official gazette.
Looking forward to change your gender in documents. You can request gender change for identity documents using these ones. If you have any additional inquiries, need a template for the gender change affidavit, or had any difficulties during the procedure, do connect Vakilsearch, India’s legal service provider. Their experts are here to help you for helping you to go through any legal procedure.
- How to Change Gender on Esic Portal?
- How To Change Gender in Ration Card?
- Can I Change My Gender on My Birth Certificate?