Food trucks are becoming quite popular in recent times. But did you know even food trucks need to get certain permits and licenses? This article here will explain to you all about it.
Food trucks are simply restaurant-on-wheels. They are small trucks in which people cook and sell food. Food trucks are a promising business, as people get a variety of meal options and can experience desired cuisines in convenient locations. At a time when COVID has made outdoor dining a risky affair, food trucks are an ultimately rewarding, and low-investment business for independent entrepreneurs.
For your food business to run smoothly and without any inconvenience, you will need a food license, and some other permits.
What Are the Licenses Required by Food Trucks in India?
- Fire Certificate: You will have to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Chief Fire Officer. This is because fire trucks use gas appliances, and cooking equipment, which needs to be regulated by the Chief Fire Officer.
- Commercial Vehicle License: As the food is cooked and sold from a vehicle, the vehicle requires proper registration
- No Objection Certificates: You will need a NOC permitting you to set up the business premises of your food truck in your desired location. NOC must be obtained from both the Local Municipal Corporation and the RTO.
- GST Registration: If your business has a turnover of above ₹40 Lakh, you will need to register for GST.
- FSSAI License: Any food business operating in India, and having an annual turnover of ₹12 Lakh must obtain a license from the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
Why do we Need A FSSAI License for Food Trucks?
Food businesses in India are regulated by the (FSSAI): https://www.fssai.gov.in/. Having a direct impact on the health of its people, the FSSAI lays down rules and regulations every Food Business Operator(FBO) in the country complies with. Acquiring a certificate from the FSSAI will ensure that the food you provide to your customer is safe for human consumption.
Types of FSSAI Certifications for Food Trucks:
Depending upon the annual turnover and the number of vehicles, you must apply for one of the following:
- Registration: If the business has only one vehicle and an annual turnover of less than ₹12 Lakh. The food truck business just needs to register itself with the FSSAI. The cost of registration would be ₹100 per annum.
- State License: If the business has up to 100 vehicles and an annual turnover between ₹12 Lakh to ₹20 Crore, a state license will be required. It would cost ₹2000 per annum.
- Central License: If the food business has more than 100 vehicles and an annual turnover above ₹20 Crore, a central license is needed. For a central license, you will need to pay ₹7500 per annum.
The Process of Applying for a Certification from the FSSAI:
Registering or obtaining a license for your food truck has now become time-saving. And a simplified online process. Following are the steps you need to follow
- The Food Business Operator(FBO) will need to fill out an online application on the FoSCos registration portal.
- You will need to select the type of food products you shall be dealing with.
- You will be required to submit some mandatory self-attested documents.
- The last step would be to make the payment.
- If your business fulfills all the requirements and rules of FSSAI, the FBO would be provided with the registration/license certified by the statutory authority.
FSSAI has very stringent rules and regulations every FBO must abide by. The application to FSSAI registration or license could be elaborate, and overwhelming. Vakilsearch is one such platform that will provide comprehensive support with your FSSAI online application filing, get your FBO registered or licensed within a short time, and render solutions to all your concerns.
- How to start a hotel in India?
- How to apply for FSSAI License Renewal?
- How to start a pickle business?
- How to get a liquor license in India?