As per the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and the provisions under the FSS Regulation, 2011, food catering services and restaurants operating from Indian Railways are covered under Food Licensing and Registration
In 2018, the FSSAI ( Food Licensing and Registration ) and the Indian Railways together decided to take a series of reformative steps to regulate the food catering services available in the Indian Railways. This move was taken nearly 14 days after the incident that took place in the Puri-Howrah Shatabdi Express, where passengers fell sick after eating the food served on the train.
What Is FSSAI for Railways Catering Vendors?
All food vendors, including petty retailers, hawkers, temporary food stall owners, and other small-scale food business operators whose annual turnover exceeds ₹12 lakhs or whose production capacity of food does not exceed 100 kg per day, shall be required to register with the FSSAI. An FSSAI license is mandatory for catering services whose annual turnover exceeds Rs 12 lakh.
Who Is Eligible to Apply for an FSSAI Licence for Railway Food Services?
- Caterers: turnover of up to or more than ₹12 lakhs per year
- Restaurants: turnover of up to or more than ₹12 lakhs per year
- Clubs and canteens: turnover of up to or more than ₹12 lakhs per year
- Dhabas, boarding houses serving food, banquet halls that cater food, home-based canteens, Dabbawalas, food stalls (permanent and temporary), food stalls at events, fairs, expos, religious gatherings, etc., food establishments like fish sellers, meat sellers, and poultry shops – turnover of up to or more than ₹ 12 lakhs/year
- And also hawkers and mobile food vendors, tea sellers, and small retailers.
Required Documents: FSSAI and Railways
The following are the documents to be submitted for a permit from the Indian Railway Licensing Authority:
- Form-B duly filed and signed (in duplicate) by the proprietor, partner or authorized person
- Blueprint of the processing unit demonstrating the measurements in meters or square meters and activity-wise region allotment (required for manufacturing and processing units)
- List of Directors/Proprietors/Partners/Executive Associates from Trust or Society with Complete Address and Contact Details (Compulsory for Companies)
- Name and list of supplies and machinery alongside the number, capacity, and horsepower utilized (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units).
- Photo ID and address confirmation issued by the specialist, directors, principals, partners, or approved signatories
- List of food items to be produced (in the case of manufacturers)
- Authority letter with the name and address of the person responsible, as selected by the manufacturer. In addition, an alternative person and the person’s powers in helping the officials with inspection, collection of samples, packing, and dispatch
- Analysis reports of the water that will be used in preparing food, obtained from an acknowledged or public health lab to affirm its portability (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- Proof of the premise (rent agreement, electricity bill, sale deed, etc.)
- Partnership deed, affidavit of proprietorship or Memorandum, and Articles of Association toward the formation of the organization.
- Copy of the certificate acquired under the Cooperative Act of 1861 or the Multi-State Cooperative Act of 2002 if it is a cooperative.
- A NOC from the producer is mandatory for re-labelers and re-packers, as it were.
- Food Safety Management System scheme or credential, if any
- Milk supply source and procurement plan for milk as well as the site of milk pool centers and so forth in the case of milk and milk products handling units whenever appropriate
- Source of raw materials for meat and meat processing units
- Pesticide residue reports of water in the case of companies manufacturing packaged drinking water, mineral water, or carbonated water from a recognized or public health research facility
- Recall the plan, if needed.
- Certificate imparted by the Department of Tourism (compulsory for hotels only)
- No Objection certificate from the District Municipal Board
- Form IX: Proposal of Persons by an Organization Alongside the Board Resolution
- For transporters, documents of turnover or self-declaration of the number of vehicles
- Declaration forms if you are from Delhi or Himachal Pradesh
How to Get FSSAI for Indian Railways?
To be involved in food catering services with Indian Railways, food business operators (FBOs) need to apply for a central license online on the Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS). As an FBO, you can track the status of your application online. Remember that all the supporting documents must be uploaded electronically.
The procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Visit the website at https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/index.aspx Then you must sign up and register with details like name, address, company name, etc.
Step 2: You will get a password and username sent to your registered mobile number and email address.
Step 3: Log in using the credentials and select ‘Apply for License/Registration’ from the ‘License/Registration; tab, and then select the ‘Central Licensing’ option.
Step 4: On the next page, fill in the form details, including food category, quantity (in case of processing unit), and other details as mentioned. Click the ‘Save and Add button to continue.
Note: You can always add more categories if applicable.
Step 5: Fill in the next set of details on the next page. Upload the supporting documents. Click ‘Save and Continue.’
Step 6: Now you will be redirected to the ‘Payment Confirmation”’ page. You can preview the application and then click ‘Proceed’
Step 7: Now you must make the payment and upload Form-B.
Step 8: When the application is submitted successfully, you can also take a printout of the application for reference.
Note – The aforementioned process is a simplified version of the actual formalities involved in getting an FSSAI certification for railway caterers. Get in touch with our experts for assistance and to learn about the exact nature of the application process over a free consultation.
- How to Download FSSAI Certificate Online
- Requirement for FSSAI License
- Difference Between Fssai and Agmark
- Fssai Food Labelling Regulations
- Things to know about FSSAI License Registration