The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is responsible for ensuring food safety and security within the country. All food business operators functioning within India need to register with the FSSAI to commence operations and maintain compliance.
Most people are aware that there is a registered autonomous body that helps in ensuring your health and safety. It works under the Ministry of Health & Welfare and goes by the name Food Safety and Standards Authority of India or FSSAI. The autonomous body works as per guidelines established under Sections 31(1) and 31(2) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Since all food business operators in India must register with the FSSAI, business owners need to be aware of the FSSAI registration process. Here’s an in-depth look at everything you need to know about FSSAI basic registration.
What are the Types of FSSAI Registration?
Perpetuating food safety and satisfaction must be the ultimate goal for every Food business operator. The government established the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India to help achieve this goal. There are three types of FSSAI registrations that business owners can avail of depending on the nature of their business.
- Central license for large food businesses
- State license for medium food businesses
- Basic registration for small food businesses
What Are the Eligibility Criteria for a Basic FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI basic registration is for small food sellers and vendors. Individuals who manufacture or sell food products individually or through a retailer, hawker, or temporary stall owner must also register under the FSSAI. Additionally, even slaughtering and meat processing units come under the purview of the apply FSSAI online, along with milk-producing units. Furthermore, FSSAI registration is also required for entities that distribute food regularly at religious or social gatherings. Additionally, all food business operators who run small-scale food industries whose annual turnover falls below ₹12 lakhs can register with the FSSAI.
To be eligible for FSSAI basic registration, food business operations must meet the following standards.
- Food production capacity for manufacturing units must be less than 100 kgs/ltr per day
- Milk production units with a capacity not exceeding 500 liters per day or 2.5 metric tonnes (MT) per annum
- Vegetable oil production units whose capacity falls under 100 kgs or ltr per day.
- Likewise, meat processing units whose production falls below 100 kgs per day or 30 MT per day.
- Additionally, slaughtering houses with a capacity for two large, ten small, or fifty poultry per day
- Cold storage units, wholesalers, suppliers, transporters, retailers, and distributors whose annual turnover does not exceed ₹12 lakhs.
- Dhaba owners, clubs, canteens, hotels, and restaurants whose annual turnover does not exceed ₹12 lakhs.
What to Know About Basic FSSAI Registration
- The FSSAI has specific eligibility criteria and guidelines, which will be useful for all food business operators (FBOs). Hence, business owners must make sure they go over these guidelines and stay updated regarding changes to stay on the right side of the law.
- All food business operators must apply for the renewal of their FSSAI registration at least thirty days before the expiry of their license. In case you have any doubts, reaching out to a professional legal expert for assistance can be helpful.
- Further, based on the compliance level, FSSAI classifies food safety in the following ways;
- Compliance – C
- Noncompliance – NC
- Partial compliance – PC
- Not applicable – NA
What is Basic FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI is mandatory for all food businesses operating within India, and the basic registration is wholly different from an FSSAI license. Individuals can complete the FSSAI basic registration online by filing a registration form through the Food Licensing and Registration System. Moreover, the FLRS system also enables food business operators to track their applications and learn more about updates and changes to laws. Almost 35 states and union territories in India now issue a license or Foscos Website
The FSSAI registration remains valid for a period between one to five years, depending on the choice of the business owner. Individuals can choose the time frame for their license or registration at the time of application. However, all operators must apply for a renewal at least 30 days before the expiry of their license. Since FLRS is an online portal, operators can complete their registration and renewal easily through a legal service provider such as Vakilsearch.
What are the Benefits of Holding an FSSAI License?
There are various advantages to procuring the FSSAI license, which are as follows:
- Facilitates food safety and security systematically
- Broadens consumer awareness and improves brand value
- Provides various legal benefits
- Helps in regulating imported food
- Facilitates the expansion of the business in the future
How to Apply for FSSAI Basic Registration – FoSCoS FSSAI gov.in
Small food business operators must obtain a basic FSSAI registration: https://www.fssai.gov.in/ before commencing operations within India.
Vakilsearch can help food businesses of all sizes complete their FSSAI registration with ease. Our legal experts will collect information regarding your business and advise you on what type of FSSAI registration to obtain. Further, in some instances, the concerned authorities might inspect your premises to complete their verification process. Vakilsearch can help your business obtain an FSSAI Registration legally with ease. Talk to us to receive the best advice and service.
- The Complete Guide to Getting an FSSAI Registration
- How to apply for FSSAI License Renewal?