In 1961, the government had to establish the West Bengal Societies Registration Act. The act requires the registration of non-profit societies that wish to contribute to society's well being.We need to understand what exactly a society is before we can register it. Let's look deeper into West Bengal Societies Registration.
In the hustle and bustle of the chaotic lives in today’s generation, we as a community and individuals forget our roots and the importance of Culture. Along with this, we also end up ignoring the sections of the society that need our support to grow and build themselves.
What is Society?
It is basically a group of 7 or more members who unite themselves to work for various welfare and charitable purposes which include topics of literary, political, art and social importance along with several others.
The Act and its Objectives
All the registrations of the Societies are done under the West Bengal Society Registration, 1961. All these societies need to get themselves as only then they will be legalized and avail the benefits of a non-profit society.
The societies have to register themselves to the Registrar of Firms at the time of filling out the forms.
These societies are with certain objectives and purposes that are as follows:
- Running charitable programs for the welfare of old people, orphans, poor, and anyone in need for the betterment of the Society.
- It can also be set-up for the protection of animals and creating awareness about animals and their protection.
- Preservation of materials of cultural, historical, archaeological, and social importance such as manuscripts, instruments, etc.
- Spreading knowledge on various topics including politics, social, economic, etc.
- Other purposes that are justified and classified by the government under these categories.
Name of Society
The name of the society should be such that it does not resemble or is very close to any of the prior registered societies. The name of the society must not include any words related to a government organization, names of government as well as the names restricted by any government organization will be deemed.
Registration Procedure for West Bengal Socities Registration
The Registration of your society under the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1960 is not much of a deal and involves merely filling in the details of the society and its members.
The steps for the registration process are as follows:
- One should submit the Application form to the appropriate registrar along with a copy of MOA (Memorandum of Association) and also a copy of the Bye-laws and regulations set by the government.
- After the submission of the application form, the applicant needs to pay the fee following which an acknowledgement slip is provided.
- The last and final steps involve the verification of the documents by the registrar.
One can register the society if one completes the steps successfully. A certificate of registration is provided and the society can run legally without any obligations.
Memorandum of Association and Regulations
These are the most important documents failing their provision, the society cannot be registered legally.
The memorandum of association contains the following documents:
- Name of the society
- Address of society
- Objective and the welfare for which the society aims to work towards.
- The names of the members followed by their address and other personal details including occupations.
Once registered, the memorandum of the society cannot be changed.
The memorandum is not of any use if it is not attached with a copy of the regulations which must involve the following:
- The governing body and its composition along with how the members of the society are appointed and further elections are carried out.
- Maintain data for the members and register the policies. Thereby, the members of the society can inspect it.
- Maintaining the accounts and the audits
- The property involved in the matters of the society is under safe custody and along with the security of monetary transactions and processes.
- Meeting by the members of the society and its inspection.
- Other matters corresponding to the matters of society and its members
Documents Required for West Bengal Societies Registration
You must attach the following documents while filling in the application form:
- ID proof and address proof of all the members.
- Passport size photographs of the committee and members.
- Copy of MOA.
- Copy of the Regulations and the application form.
- Depending on the property on which the society runs, if it is rented, rent-agreement has to be attached. Else no-rent statement has to be provided along with the application form.
Once the payment for the registration is over, it takes about 8 to 10 days for drafting the MoA and By-laws of the Society. Thereafter it takes 21 to 30 days to register for the Society.
You can also amalgamate two societies and then register for a new name by dissolving both societies.
Therefore, the government is taking a very necessary step towards improving society as a result of this initiative.
How does Vakilsearch’s West Bengal online society registration work?
- Detailed consultation to understand your requirements.
- We will keep you informed about the entire process and progress of applying for a society registration.
- All registration processes and procedures are handled by us.