If you're a businessman in Mumbai, you'll need to keep in mind some of the points we discussed in this blog. Because here, we'll be telling you how to register a shop or establishment in Mumbai!
Are you about to start a company or have a business plan drawn up? Or Have you already employed people to do the job and manage tasks? To run your operation legally, you will need a Shops and Establishment Permit.
Since the law regarding business establishment is drawn up by the state government, they certainly differ from one state to another. Mumbai has its own defined rules and regulations from Maharastra’s Shops and Establishments Act.
This license is required for commercial establishments such as hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, theatres, and other entertainment buildings. Given below is a comprehensive guide to the Shop and Establishment Act of Mumbai.
What is the Shops and Establishments Act?
Everything pertaining to setting up and maintaining business fronts and shops in India is governed by the Shops and Establishments Act. It regulates and lays out all of the rules that govern the operation of businesses, commercial organisations, charity trusts, printing facilities, and hotels. It mainly sets rules for topics such as maximum hours of work, worker pay, holiday schedules, criteria for employing new employees, paid time off, etc.
To run and maintain a business enterprise in India, you need to obtain a Shops and Establishments license.
Who Needs to Register Under the Shops and Establishments Act in Mumbai?
Any shop or establishment that carries notified areas of trade, industry, or services within the state of Maharashtra needs to register for a Shops and Establishments permit. Under this Act, business organisations such as supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels, theatres, public entertainment, retail, etc., must also register.
Documents Required for Shops and Establishments Registration in Mumbai
To start any registration process, it is very important to keep certain documents handy so that process is easy and hassle-free. To get a Shops and Establishments license, keep the following documents ready –
- Annexure for the premises of the establishment
- Annexure A – self-declaration ( 75KB to 100KB)
- Annexure B – self-declaration for attestation ( 75KB to 100KB)
- Annexure C – undertaking ( 75KB to 100KB)
- Photo (20KB to 30KB)
- Signature (9KB to 15KB)
- Identity proof of applicant ( copy of driving license, passport, Aadhar card, PAN card) (75KB to 100KB)
- Copy of fee paid ( in case of Old user) ( 75KB to 100KB)
Procedure for Registering Under the Shops and Establishments Act in Mumbai
- Go to the official website of the labour department
- Select either an organisation or an individual as the registration procedure type
- Next, register your mobile number and use the OTP sent to your phone to verify your identity
- Now, provide your email address and any personal information on the resulting page
- Next, look in your mailbox for the authorisation email and click the verification tab to confirm your account
- Next, log onto the website using your newly created ID and password
- From the homepage, head to the section forNew Registration of Shops and EstablishmentsChoose Registration – Form A
- Next, fill up the form and then click on submit
- You will now receive a unique application number
- Next, upload all the supporting documents required
- Navigate to the payment option. Choose a suitable mode of payment and then make the payment
- Your registration status will now be updated to ‘Under Scrutiny’
- Check regularly to see whether it is Approved or Rejected in the days to come. In case it is rejected, you must ask the Labour department what is lacking in your application and then re-apply.
- Once it is approved, download the certificate and then print it out.
If you want to prevent your application from getting rejected, opt to get your Shops and Establishments license with the help and assistance of Vakilsearch experts. Our team of experienced lawyers will ensure that everything is in order before we apply on your behalf and will get you the permit as quickly as possible.
How to Check the Status of the Application?
To check the status of your application online, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, visit the official website of the labour department
- Login in using your username and password.
- After login, click on the home button available on the left panel of the website
- Here you will find the status of your application. If you are approved, you can download the certificate by following the procedure given.
- If rejected, then don’t worry, as you can re-apply by clicking on the re-apply button. Remember to note all the reasons for cancellation.
Fees Structure for the Registration and Renewal of a Business License in Mumbai
To get the Shops and Establishments license, you need to pay the registration fees according to the number of employees engaged in the organisation, and they are as follows:
|Number of Employees||Registration Fees (₹)||Renewal Fees (₹)||Late Fees (₹)|
|1 to 5||360||360||180|
|6 to 10||720||720||360|
|11 to 20||1200||1200||600|
|21 to 50||2400||2400||1200|
|51 to 100||4200||4200||2100|
|More than 100||5400||5400||2700|
How to Download the Shops and Establishments Act License Online
If the government approves your application, you can only download this certificate. Otherwise, you will not be able to.
If your application status is approved, you can download the certificate using the below steps.
- Go to the govt official website
- Enter your username and password
- After logging in, click on the home button available on the website’s left panel.
- Check your application status; if approved, move further; otherwise, reapply as suggested above.
- Next, click on the download certificate option to download your Shops and Establishments Act license.