In this article, we will go through all of the legal requirements for registering a marriage in Hyderabad.
|The Telangana Registration and Stamps Department has said their revenue has fallen nearly 10 times in the first quarter of 2020-21 fiscal. The department registered only 22 marriage registrations in the first three weeks of April because of the lockdown.|
A marriage certificate provides legal proof that a marriage is lawful. An applicant must apply to the sub-divisional magistrate office to obtain it. Marriage registration can also be done in the state of Telangana under two Acts, namely the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 and the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
Purpose of Marriage Registration
A marriage certificate is a necessary document for proving a couple’s legal marital status. Furthermore, a marriage certificate is an important document and definitive marriage proof that that even acts as evidence, in the event –
- You want to change your name post marriage
- On questions of a child’s legitimacy,
- Moreover, in the case of a divorce,
- If you want to claim spousal property if you are not a nominee,
- To claim life insurance
- As well as to be part of a genealogical history
Eligibility for Applying for Marriage
- The age of registration for marriage is 21 for males and 18 for females.
- A marriage that has already been solemnised can be licensed under either the Hindu Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act.
- The Hindu Marriage Act applies in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs or where they have converted to any of those religions.
- Whether either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage can be registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954,
- Moreover, an unregistered marriage can be documented within 90 days of solemnisation without a fine and between 90-150 days a penalty fee will be imposed.
Documents Required to Apply for Registration
When you go to the registrar’s office to Register your marriage, you must bring the following documents:
- Registration in Form- A: The application form must be signed by both husband and wife.
- Address proof of current residential address of the bride or groom (Proof of Address can be given through – Voter ID/ Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License)
- 2 passport size photographs
- 2 photographs of the bride and groom in marriage dress taken during the marriage ceremony that indicates that they are taking part in the marriage ceremony.
- Three witnesses to validate the marriage.
- Marriage affidavits in a specified manner from both Husband & Wife are required.
- Birth certificate of both husband and wife (Documents that serve as proof of age is ideally the 10th class mark sheet with date of birth)
- Aadhaar card
- Marriage invitation card
- All documents must be self-attested.
Procedure for Marriage registration
- One must submit an application to the Sub-Registrar Office by completing the registration form mentioned above in the jurisdiction, wherein the husband, or wife is residing with a valid proof of address.
- Furthermore, copies of all documents requested should be included in the application form.
- Additionally, the application must be made within 30 days following the marriage.
- On the day of registration, all parties must appear in front of the ADM, together with a Gazetted Officer who attended their wedding.
- All witnesses must also sign in front of the Registrar.
- Thereafter, the marriage will be registered when the application and documents presented are verified, and the marriage certificate will then be issued.
Witness to Marriage
To register the marriage, witness signatures from three different individuals are required. The prerequisites for being a marriage witness are as follows:
- The witnesses should have been 21 years old
- The witnesses must have attended the wedding of the couple
- It is preferable for the witnesses to be the nearest blood relation of the bride and bridegroom.
- Further, it is preferable for one of the parents to be a witness to the registration.
Documents are required from the witness:
- Pan Card
- Aadhar Card
- Additionally, notarised Affidavit with self-attested address proof and passport size photograph
Fees of Registration
- ₹100/- in the case of the Hindu Marriage Act
- ₹150/- in Special Marriage Act caseCheck Here to More about: https://registration.telangana.gov.in/marriageRegistration.htm
One must deposit the fees with the cashier and ensure that the receipts are annexed to the application form.
Marriage Registrar Office Locations: Hyderabad
The registration offices for marriage in Hyderabad are listed below. Do note that the marriage can be registered in the respective registrar marriage office in Hyderabad based on the bride and bridegroom’s place of residence.
Marriage registration Office Malakpet
Chaderghat Road, Imlibun,
Near Abid Ali Khan Eye Hospital,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500024
Marriage registration Office Uppal
Laxma Reddy Colony Rd,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500039
Marriage registration Office Shamshabad
Hyderabad, Telangana 501218
Marriage registration Office LB Nagar
Plot No. 4, Sagar Ring Road,
Near Srisailam Road,
Inner Ring Road,
Mallikarjuna Nagar, LB Nagar,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500074
Registration Office Ranga Reddy
Hayathnagar, Ranga Reddy District,
Hyderabad, Telangana 501505
Marriage registration Office Jam Bagh
No. 5-3-953, J.Road,
Risala Abdullah Colony,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500095
Marriage registration Office Punjagutta
Irram Manzil Colony,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500082
Marriage registration Office Vanasthalipuram
NH65, Dwarakamai Nagar,
Hyderabad, Telangana 500070
- Difference Between a Marriage Certificate and a Marriage Licence
- Muslim Marriage Law – The Complete Details
- Actions for Fake Marriage Certificate
- Degree of Prohibited Relationship
- How To Get a Marriage Certificate in Delhi
- Easy Marriage Registration in India