This blog will tell you everything about marriage registration in Goa. For all the details, this post will come in handy for you when applying for a marriage certificate in Goa.
To register for marriage in Goa, the applicant must go to the Sub-office. You may find the Registrar’s contact information at Government portal. In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of making your marriage official in Goa.
Marriage is looked on as a holy ritual in Indian culture. It is a sacred agreement made by two people to spend the remainder of their lives together. In India, there’s no such thing as a big wedding. People begin arranging their children’s marriages from the day they are born. People make tremendous efforts to ensure that their families’ weddings are as memorable as possible.
Meanwhile, getting the marriage officially recognised in our country is necessary for the middle of all the wedding plans and excitement. It results in a marriage certificate, which is essential for all joint ventures between the pair, like purchasing real estate or obtaining a spouse visa to go overseas.
If things don’t go as planned, and a person wants a divorce, a marriage certificate is essential. Moreover, if one of the partners expires, they can use this certificate to file an insurance claim. The most crucial and appropriate thing to do after entering into a marriage is register.
A marriage certificate is a legally binding document that attests to the Union of two persons. The Hindu Marriage Act (1954) and the Special Marriage Act (1955) govern Hindu weddings in India. The Honourable Supreme Court of India ruled in 2006 that it must be registered to legalise a wedding.
Because of technological advancements, you may now register your marriage online from the comfort of your home. In this post, we will look at the process of acquiring a marriage certificate in Goa.
When seeking a marriage certificate in Goa, provide the following documents with your application:
- Both spouses must fill out and sign the application form. (Form link: https://registration.goa.gov.in/?page_id=13/ )
- Address evidence of present dwelling address. It should be on the name of the groom or bride (Address Proof – Aadhar Card/Ration Card/Voter Card/Driving License/Passport)
- Two passport-size photos
- Two photos of the groom and bride in their wedding gown during the wedding ritual clearly illustrate that they are participating in the wedding ceremony.
- Marriage affidavits (separate) from wife and husband in the approved format
- Proof of both wife and husband’s date of birth (Class 10 mark sheet or admit card with DOB)
- Wedding invitation card
- Three witnesses are needed to verify the wedding
- Two affidavits stating that the pair want to marry one another freely and without intimidation are necessary for the wedding at a later phase
- Divorce decree in the event of divorce
- Spouse’s Death Certificate in the event of widower or widow
Please remember that a Gazetted Officer must authenticate all documents mentioned above.
The groom and bride must meet the following qualifying requirements to get a marriage certificate in Goa:
- To get a marriage certificate in Goa, the bride or the groom must be a permanent resident of India
- The concerned party must have a living spouse during the time of the wedding
- At the time of the marriage, the groom must at least be 21 years of age, and the bride should be 18 years of age
The interested party must apply to the Sub Divisional Magistrate whose jurisdiction the wedding took place or where the bride and groom had resided for six months before the marriage. Any of the following locations should fall under the authority of the Registering Officer to register:
- The bridegroom’s residence
- The bride’s residence
- Location of solemnisation
Procedure for Applying
Listed below are the procedures for applying for a marriage certificate in Goa:
- Marriage registration must be requested from the registrar in the jurisdiction of the wife or husband.
- To apply, the applicant must go to the Sub-office. You may find the Registrar’s contact information at Site.
- An application form may be received from the relevant office during a visit, can be penned as instructed, OR you can download it over the internet. (https://registration.goa.gov.in/?page_id=13)
- Fill up the form (application) and have both wife and husband sign it. As instructed, you should submit it to the receiving authorities and the necessary documentation and fees.
- After verification, the application submitted will be entered into the registry. The proposed application’s receipt will be sent to the applicant.
- The applicant must come to the premises on a predetermined date to complete the registration.
- On the specified day, both parties, and the Gazetted Officer who was present in their marriage, must appear before the registrar.
- You should follow the authorities’ instructions to finish the registration process.
- The witness and applicant will be requested to sign on the registry to validate their marriage.
- The marriage certificate for the already solemnised marriage is granted on the same day.
- In the event of an application filed in advance for the issuance of a marriage certificate, authorities shall seek any objections from the public one month before executing the procedure on the day of the wedding by a designated officer and issuing the certificate as appropriate.
- When applying for a marriage registration certificate, applicants must produce documentation of a previous marriage solemnised somewhere else. The bride and groom now wish to register it officially.
- At the time of marriage registration, everyone engaged in the process must have an identity and address verification originals.
Marriage Certificate: Benefits
The advantages of acquiring a marriage certificate in Goa are as follows:
- It is an official record that may be used to establish that a wedding has happened.
- Widows can use this document to claim their inheritance.
- This document establishes the minimum marriage age to avoid child marriages.
- It can be used to screen for bigamy or polygamy.
- It serves as a deterrence to husbands who abandon their wives
- Thus certificate assists women in exercising their rights to refuge from their husbands and custody of their kids.
- Furthermore, it is used while applying for passport services, visas, and immigration benefits.
Following solemnisation, acquiring a marriage certificate in Goa is critical, as stated explicitly in the post. It ensures the legal validity of your wedding and prevents children and women (under 18 years) from being exploited. As a result, it is essential to get your marriage registered to avoid future difficulties.
- Court Marriage Procedure in India
- Online Marriage Registration in Delhi
- Muslim Marriage Law In India
- What is Special Marriage Act in India?