If you are planning to get married in Mumbai, Maharashtra, it is very important that you have all the necessary paperwork required for your marriage. This article discusses how to apply for a marriage certificate in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
What is a Marriage Certificate?
A marriage certificate is a document that confirms a marriage has taken place. It is often used as proof of marriage for legal purposes. In India, a marriage certificate can be obtained from the local registrar’s office. The process varies depending on the region in which you live, but generally it involves filling out a form and providing some documentation to prove your identity.
If you’re married in a religious ceremony, your marriage certificate will likely also include a registration certificate from the relevant religious authority.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Marriage Certificate?
If you are looking to make sure that your marriage is recognized by the government, then a marriage certificate is essential. Here are some of the benefits of having one:
- It can help you get a loan or a mortgage
- It can help you get a job
- It can help you get residency in India
- It can protect your right to property and inheritance.
So if you’re planning on getting married in Mumbai, Maharashtra, then make sure to apply for a marriage certificate as soon as possible. A marriage certificate can be helpful in case of a divorce, when it is needed to prove the validity of the marriage. Additionally, it can be used as proof of residence and citizenship for a spouse. In some cases, it may also be required when applying for a passport or other government documents. Finally, if you want to apply for a passport or other government documents, having a certificate will help you do so more easily.
What Are the Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Marriage Certificate?
- If you have been married in a state outside Maharashtra, you may need to obtain an affidavit of marriage from the issuing state
- If you are already residing in Maharashtra and your marriage took place in another state, you can apply for a marriage certificate online with the Directorate of Civil Registration (DCR). To apply, visit their website and follow the instructions on their application form. The fee for a marriage certificate is generally ₹500, payable by either party to the marriage. The application can be submitted from anywhere in the state. VAT is payable on all documents (including a marriage certificate) processed by DCR
What All Documents Are Required to Apply for a Marriage Certificate?
In order to apply for a marriage certificate in Mumbai, Maharashtra, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Your passport or Indian visa stamp showing that you are currently in India
- Your original birth certificate
- Your original ID card (if you are a resident of India)
- Your original voter’s ID card (if you are a citizen of India)
- Your original driver’s license
- A recent passport size photograph
- A formality fee payable at the time of application.
How to Apply for a Marriage Certificate in Mumbai ‘Offline’?
- First of all, you will need to find the Mumbai registration office that issues such certificates. You can find out the address and phone number of the office from the website of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM). Once you know the office’s address and phone number, you can visit it and ask for the marriage certificate application form. You will also need to provide some identification such as your passport or driver’s license. If you do not have any identification, you can also sign a declaration that you are appearing on behalf of someone else
- The application form will ask you to provide information such as your full name, date of birth, marital status (married/unmarried), and address at which the marriage ceremony took place. Finally, you will have to pay a fee
- Once you have filled out the application form and paid the fee, the registration officer will give you a receipt and ask you to bring the forms and some passport-sized photographs to a registry
- At the registry, you will have to fill out a declaration form that needs to be signed by both the parties, as well as by witnesses
- You can also present your passport and visa if one of you has any of them
- After signing the declaration form, the registrar will then ask you to sign on a document certifying that you are married under Indian law. You will also see two or three other forms for witnesses who witnessed your marriage ceremony at the registry
- When all these processes are complete, you will receive your marriage certificate.
How to Apply ‘Online’ for a Marriage Certificate in Mumbai Online
- Create an account with the Maharashtra State Registration Office (MSRO). This can be done either through the website or by visiting their office in person
- Click on ‘Marriage’ from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen and select ‘Online Form Submission’ from the drop-down menu
- On the next page, you will need to provide your name, address, and phone number. Next, upload a copy of your ID card or passport photo. Finally, enter your marriage date and choose your marital status (either ‘married’ or ‘unmarried’)
- Click on ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page
- A receipt will be sent to the email address that you provided at step 2. After you receive the receipt, visit the MSRO office in person (or by post) and submit a copy of your marriage certificate and a self-addressed envelope to receive your marriage license.