Know the procedure of ESI returns

OR

Easy monthly EMI options available
No Spam. No Sharing. 100% Confidentiality.

Know the procedure of ESI returns


Companies with ESI registration have to file the ESI returns once every six months in two periods: from 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March. The ESI returns have to be filed within 42 days from the end of the half year, i.e. by 12 September for the first period and by 12 May for the second period. It can be done online through Form 5 or offline by visiting the nearest ESI branch office.

Procedure for filing returns:


Following documents are required for registering under the ESI scheme:

Essential documents for filing ESI returns


The following documents must be maintained regularly for filing ESI returns.

1. Attendance register

2. Form 6

3. Register of wages

4. Register of any accidents on the premises

5. Inspection book

6. Monthly challans and returns submitted for ESI


Procedure to file ESI returns online

Step 1: Upon ESI registration, every employer would have received a user ID and password and a 17-digit code

Step 2: Access https://www.esic.nic.in/ and log in with the provided credentials and click ‘Login’

Step 3: On the portal, there will be a list of provisions for modifying employee details. On the right-hand side, click, ‘File Monthly Returns’ and ensure the employee details are right, the same have to be edited.

Step 4: Fill the bank details and click ‘Submit’ to file the monthly ESI contribution

Step 5: Once the contributions are paid, click ‘List of actions’ page and press ‘Generate challan’. This challan has to be preserved for inspection

Step 6: Click ‘Self-certification’ under the Monthly Contribution section and tick the checkbox for accepting the declaration. If there are more than 40 employees, then the Chartered accounts certificate has to be uploaded.

Step 7: Click ‘Submit’


By following the above steps, the Return of contribution is submitted by the employer.

In case the employer has missed on payment for any of the months in the two periods, the returns for the same has to be contributed in physical form to the respective ESI branch office or to the ESI regional commissioner.


Mandatory records to be maintained by the organizations under ESIC Registration


1. Attendance Register

2. Wages Register

3. Form-6 Register

4. Accident Register

5. Inspection Book

6. File containing all monthly challans & returns submitted


Calculation of employer & employee contribution for ESI


All commercial establishments like corporate organizations, factories, cinema theatres, offices, institutions have to register for ESI. Often employers and employees get confused with the percentage that goes into this contribution. ESI amount is deducted from an employee’s gross salary which is the income earned, excluding deductions on taxes and health insurances.

The components of the salary for calculating ESI are basic pay, dearness allowance, HRA, incentives, special allowances, etc. The rate of the employees’ contribution is 1.75% of the gross pay and 4.75% is of the employer’s. Totally, 6.5% of the wages are paid as ESI contribution.


Example:

Suppose an employee earns 14,000 as his gross pay per month. The ESI deduction has to be calculated as:

Employee’s contribution:

14,000 * 1.75/100 = 245


Employer’s contribution:

14,000 * 4.75/100 = 665

If the employee’s salary is increased to Rs 25,000 per month during either one of the contribution periods, then the ESI has to be calculated for Rs 25,000.

Read to know about the benefits of ESI Registration.

Why Vakilsearch


3 Working Days

If you've got all the documents and sign the authorisation letter immediately, it will take us three working days to file the application with the Registrar of Copyright in Delhi.

9.1 Customer Score

We make your interaction with government as smooth as is possible by doing all the paperwork for you. We will also give you absolute clarity on the process to set realistic expectations.

160 Strong Team

Our team of experienced business advisors are a phone call away, should you have any queries about the process. But we'll try to ensure that your doubts are cleared before they even arise.

  • Happy customers
  • Logo of VakilSearch premium customer Indiaproperty
  • Logo of VakilSearch premium customer iBlueBottle
  • Logo of VakilSearch premium customer Sulekha
  • Logo of VakilSearch premium customer Housing.com