GST rate has increased for all laptops and computer-related devices. Do you want to know about GST rate and HSN code of these devices, then here is everything you should know.
On the 1st of July 2017, the government of India implemented Goods and Service Tax(GST) to replace all the other indirect taxes implemented by state and central governments on the customers. These indirect taxes include Service Tax, VAT, Central Excise, Entertainment Tax, and many others.
With the implementation of the Goods and Service Tax, the tax filing process became extremely straightforward and easier for all the citizens of India. The main aim of the Indian government behind the implementation of GST was to eliminate the practice of double taxation.
GST is levied on everyone starting from the manufactured to the end consumer, and it works in such a way the end customer has to pay tax on only the value addition. Many people appreciated this step of the Indian government, and GST was a game changer in the Indian Taxation system. GST was implemented in each and every sector, and it was different for all the sectors.
Some GST slabs were created which decided the percentage of GST applied to a particular product or service. Same with the IT sector. The IT sector is the fastest growing sector in India, and it has brought a digital revolution to our country. In today’s modern world, it doesn’t matter whether you are a student, employee, business owner, or average person; everyone needs electronic gadgets, especially laptops and computers.
Laptops play a crucial role in everyone’s life, and GST over laptops has increased over time. This is the primary reason why laptops have again become really expensive suddenly. Hence, you should be aware of all the details related to GST that are implemented on laptops. Today, in this blog post, we will share every detail related to GST and HSN code for laptops that you should definitely check out.
What Was The Tax On Laptops In The Pre-GST Era?
In the pre-GST Era, VAT was implemented on the sale of all laptops, and it used to be between 14-15% depending on the state where the laptop was sold.
What Is GST On Laptops?
GST is levied at the rate of 18% on the sale of laptops. Earlier the GST rate was 15% on laptops, but it increased just a few weeks back, making laptops more expensive. The laptops were cheap in the pre-GST era because the VAT was less than GST.
HSN Code For Laptops And Other Computer devices
Laptops, desktops, and other computer devices come under Chapter 84 of HSN. Here are all the HSN codes for the laptops and other computer devices.
Use our GST calculator to Calculate GST amount to be paid before registering for GST.
- 8471 is the HSN code for automatic data processing machines and units thereof; magnetic or optical readers, machines for transcribing data onto data media in coded form, and machines for processing such data, not elsewhere specified or included
- 8471 30 is the HSN code for portable digital automatic data processing machines, weighing not more than 10 kg, consisting of at least a central processing unit, a keyboard, and a display
- 8471 30 10 is the HSN code for personal computers 8471 41 is the HSN code for other automatic data processing machines comprising in the same housing at least a central processing unit and an input and output unit, whether or not combined
- 8471 41 10 is the HSN code for microcomputer
- 8471 41 20 is the HSN code for large or mainframe computer
- 8471 41 90 is the HSN code for other automatic data processing machines
- 8471 49 00 is the HSN code presented in the form of systems
- 8471 50 00 is the HSN code for processing units other than those of sub-headings
- 8471 41 or 8471 49, whether or not containing in the same housing, one or two of the following types of units: storage units, input units, and output units
- 8471 60 is the HSN code for input or output units, whether or not containing storage units in the same housing
- 8471 60 10 is the HSN code for combined input or output units
- 8471 60 25 is the HSN code for a plotter
- 8471 60 29 is the HSN code for others under the printer category
- 8471 60 40 is the HSN code for a keyboard
- 8471 60 50 is the HSN code for a scanner
- 8471 60 60 is the HSN code for a mouse
- 8471 60 90 is the HSN code for other
- 8471 70 is the HSN code for storage units
- 8471 70 10 is the HSN code for floppy disc drives
- 8471 70 20 is the HSN code for hard disc drives
- 8471 70 30 is the HSN code for removable or exchangeable disc drives
- 8471 70 40 is the HSN code for magnetic tape drives
- 8471 70 50 is the HSN code for cartridge tape drives
- 8471 70 60 is the HSN code for CD-ROM drives
- 8471 70 70 is the HSN code for digital video disc drives
- 8471 70 90 is the HSN code for other under-storage units
- 8471 80 00 is the HSN code for other units of automatic data processing machines
- 8471 90 00 is the HSN code for other
If you need any more help or further information regarding this, you can get in touch with the legal experts of Vakilsearch.