The SE document is required while establishing any commercial place and is a state-based registration for which rules vary according to the state.
|The SE document require every business to approach the Department of Labour for approval, although the rules and regulations vary from state to state.|
The SE document in India was implemented to govern the rights and working conditions of workers that are employed in the unorganized sector. The Act requires all commercial establishments like theatres, eateries, hotels, amusement parks, commercial space, retail/trade businesses, etc. to apply for the license and registration within 30 days of commencing the business.
The Act required employers to declare the following:
- Working hours
- Rest interval of employees
- Opening and closing hours
- Health and safety measures
- Wages for overtime work
- National and religious holidays
When Do You Need a SE Document?
When a business entity starts employing people as contract-based or full-time employees, casual workers, etc. then they need to register for the SE Document within 30 days of starting the business to enforce proper regulations for workers’ rights and work conditions.
A commercial establishment as defined in the Act includes
- Commercial sector establishments like trading, insurance, or banking organization
- Establishments where people are employed to provide service or do office work
- Refreshments houses, small café, boarding houses, eateries, hotels, etc.
- Entertainment and amusement establishments like cinema halls, theatres, amusement parks, etc.
Advantages of SE Documents
The owner of the establishment may benefit from the registration in the following ways:
- The license will help the owner in getting a current account with a bank
- The owner will be at ease in case of unexpected visits by the inspector from the State
- The registration can be renewed easily online with minimal fee without any hassle
- Online registration is an easy and quick process
The owner of such establishments can also contact companies like Vakilsearch that offer legal counsel through legal experts and advocates and can help them get the registration within no time and without much effort.
Documents Required for SE
The SE Document requires every business to approach the Department of Labour for approval, although the rules and regulations vary from state to state.
You will need the following basic documents to apply for a license:
- Passport size photograph of the applicant
- Photo the establishment along with the owner/manager
- List of directors and management employees, if applicable
- Details related to the company, employees and salaries
- Establishment’s address proof
You will also need to submit the following information:
- Manager and employer’s name
- Establishment’s postal address
- Establishment’s name
- Category of establishment
- Number of employees
Eligibility Criteria for SE Document
The Act is applicable statewide, and all commercial establishments, such as hotels, eateries, amusement parks, theatres, and other entertainment houses, as well as any other such public amusement places, come under the purview of the Act.
The definition of a ‘Commercial Establishment’, as given in the Act is –
- Any commercial sector, such as banking, trading or insurance establishments
- Any establishment where individuals are employed or engaged to do office work or provide service
- The hotels, eateries and boarding houses or a smaller cafe or refreshment house
- Amusement and entertainment places such as theaters and cinema halls or amusement parks
All such above-mentioned commercial establishments come under the Act and need to adhere to the norms and regulations set by the Act for the treatment of their employees.
How to Apply for SE Document?
You can apply for shop and establishment registration online through the state government’s labour department website. The application in the format prescribed on the website needs to be submitted with the above-mentioned details along with the prescribed fee.
Once the application is received by the Department of Labour, an inspector will visit your establishment to check the details and will provide the registration certificate/licence in accordance with the Act.
SE Document Renewal
As this registration is governed by the state, the procedure varies from state to state. Any commercial space that commences operations must apply to the Chief Inspector for a SE Document within 30 days. Do note that renewal must be completed before the expiry of the license.