The Pregnancy and Infant Cohort Monitoring and Evaluation scheme serves as a landmark initiative by the Tamil Nadu Government, as it aims to ensure pregnant women receive proper medical care. This article provides you with all details about the scheme
What is PICME?
As the name suggests, the Pregnancy and Infant Cohort Monitoring and Evaluation scheme is an initiative of the Government of Tamil Nadu aimed at the welfare of pregnant women. It is an online pregnancy registration system established in Tamil Nadu to track pregnant women. Therefore, the PICME number will work as a sort of identification number for pregnant women in Tamil Nadu. The State Government has set up a website to facilitate online pregnancy registration and provide PIMCE number verification.
Pregnant women can register right from the onset of pregnancy, and the process ends on receiving the Birth certificate for their baby. This scheme comes under the National Health Mission, Tamil Nadu, and is a campaign by the Public Health Department.
What is the PICME number?
Everyone who registers under the scheme will receive a 12-digit PICME number. Conceiving women can contact their nearest Anganwadi centre or village level Common Service Center to collect their PICME number.
What are the objectives of the PICME scheme?
The Tamil Nadu Government has launched this portal to make things easier for expectant mothers.
The scheme offers the following benefits:
- The online pregnancy registration scheme will help the government monitor and track the needs and problems faced by pregnant women in the state.
- The scheme allows such women to reach out to local health centres, hospitals, and government health facilities.
- Expectant mothers registered under this scheme will be under the surveillance of local nurses, ensuring the safety and good health of both the mother and the child.
- A woman who signs up for the PICME scheme receives the RCH ID (Reproductive and Child Health ID). An RCH ID is now mandatory to claim a birth certificate in TN. Therefore, the PICME registration makes getting a birth certificate easier.
- PICME registration will provide further benefits to the expectant mother, such as financial help and better access to medical facilities.
- The PICME website tracks Infant Mortality Rates (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Rates (MMR) in TN.
- If someone failed to sign-up for the scheme at the onset of their pregnancy, they could do so after the delivery. A woman can follow the same procedure during the second child.
What Is Dr Muthulakshmi Reddy’s Maternity Benefit Scheme?
The state government has strengthened the scheme with the Amma Maternity Nutrition kit. Registered women will receive the Amma Maternity Nutrition Kit worth ₹4,000 (approx.) The kit contains nutritious items, including dry fruits and dates necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
The following table depicts the benefits provided under the scheme:
Instalment/Benefit in kind
What Is the Procedure for Registering and Logging Into Picme?
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you register with the PICME scheme:
- Visit the PICME portal
- Locate the ‘Pre-registration by Public’ tab on the screen’s right side and click on it.
- Fill in your PICME number details as required
- Select the correct district and enter your pin code
- Then, select a suitable time to visit your Village Health Nurse
- Enter your contact details and click on Generate OTP
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and click Save
- This completes the registration process
- You will now receive a 12-digit RCH ID
- Use this to generate your username and password.
To log in to your PICME account:
- Visit the PICME website
- Enter your username and password, followed by the CAPTCHA code
To verify your PICME number:
- To check your application’s status, visit the PICME website – https://picme.tn.gov.in/
- Go to the ‘pre-registration by public’ tab
- On the Menu bar, click on ‘Pre-registration Application ID status’ from the menu bar.
- Enter your Application ID and click on the ‘submit’ button
Documents Required for PICME Number Verification
Make sure you carry the following documents with you when you visit the Primary Healthcare Centre:
- Aadhar card
- For residential proof, your husband’s Aadhar card
- Marriage certificate
- Scan and other relevant medical reports
- Prescriptions from the gynaecologist
- Two photographs
- Bank passbook
- Records of your last 3 months’ transactions
After PICME number verification, the nurse will give you a green health card. You must submit this green health card to the hospital during the delivery time.
PICME support and contact details
- Call-Centre number: 102
- Email: email@example.com
- Office address: Directorate of Public health and Preventive Medicine, 359, Anna Salai, DMS Complex, Teynampet, Chennai–600006
The Government of Tamil Nadu is making efforts to create and spread awareness to push the public into signing up for PICME, for the ample benefits it provides to pregnant women. Therefore, for expecting mothers in Tamil Nadu, it is important to register with the PICME scheme.
FAQs – PICME Status
What is the RCH ID?
Married/pregnant women aged 15-49 years who register with the PICME scheme receive an RCH or Reproductive and Child Health ID. A woman can use the RCH ID for any number of pregnancies.
Who allots RCH ID?
Village Health Nurse or Urban Health Nurse is the authority that provides the RCH ID.
When do I receive the RCH ID?
You shall receive the RCH ID within a month of registering.
What is the procedure before ascertaining the RCH ID?
Pregnant women should visit the Health sub-center/ Primary Health Centre to get the ID and provide the required details and documents.
Can I get the Delivery without RCH ID?
Yes, you can go for delivery. Getting a birth certificate is not possible without this ID.
How can I change my name after mistyping them during pre-registration?
After you are through with the pre-registration, the Village Health Nurse/Urban Health Nurse will approach the pregnant woman. This is when you should inform them about the error and register with the correct name.
Does the Aadhaar card play a role in registering pregnancy under PICME?
Aadhar is not required to register a pregnancy under the PICME scheme. But it is essential while applying for a maternity benefit scheme.
- How Can I Get RERA Certificate in India?
- Online Rental Agreement Registration
- FPO Registration Process