Streamline your tax compliance with our expert-assisted GSTR 9 & 9C services @ ₹14,999/-

Tax efficiency, interest avoidance, and financial control with advance payment @ 4999/-
Name Change

Name Change in Educational Certificates

Tired of your name? Want to change the spelling of your name? Or simply wish to be known by another alias legally? In this article we’ll be discussing how to ensure that your name change is reflected on all your important educational certificates.

The Delhi High Court granted an orphan students’ petition for name correction in March 2020. The CBSE was ordered by the Court to remove the suffix ‘Udayan’ from their names on their Grade X and Grade XII certificates. The Court ruled that the petitioners had the right to reclaim their individuality and identity by using the name they wished to be known by on their certificates.

This article will assist you in navigating the procedures involved in changing or correcting a misspelt name on your education certificates. However, we recommend that before you begin the process of changing or correcting your name, check with your school or college to see if there are any specific procedures you must follow.

name change

Moreover, it is worthwhile to mention that the procedure for changing your name on your high school or college diploma is similar to the procedure for legally changing your name.

Procedure for Changing Your Name on Educational Certificate

Prepare an Affidavit

Seek the help of a local notary to make an affidavit for a name change. You will have to explain the reason why you want to Name Change India. For instance, some common reasons could be that in certain communities. A woman is given a new name post marriage and she may wish to legally change it. Or someone may wish to change their name because it’s either too long or too difficult to pronounce.

Publish Name Change in Newspaper

Following that, you must publish the name change in at least two local newspapers. Further, it is suggested that you place one in an English daily and one in a regional publication. Further, this is to publicly announce your new name. Remember to keep copies of the newspaper with you.

Seek Gazette Notification

Once it’s published, you should then get it notified in the official gazette of the state you reside in. This can be done by filling the name change form from the gazette office. Don’t forget to make duplicate copies of this step. Thereafter you must submit such copies for the purpose of publishing in the Government press for gazette notification.


Now comes the part where your documents will be verified by the Department of Commerce and Transport secretary. For this, you will need to send

– A letter to the secretary stating that you want to change your name and request him/her to allow you to do the same.

– The deed changing name form.

– At least 2 copies of the local newspaper, which published your name change.

– Attested copy of the affidavit.

– A copy of your present identity proof (PAN card, voter ID card, passport, etc).


You must submit it to the local gazette office after receiving approval from the secretary. You will also have to pay a fee to have it published in the newspaper by the office.

The Takeaway

Now that you have officially changed your name, you can approach the educational institution of your choice and inform them of the new name. It would be beneficial to pay a personal visit to the college administration office. Once you’ve submitted the documents proving the name change, it’ll only be a matter of time before it’s reflected on your educational certificate.

The above-mentioned step is a simplified version of the complications and intricacies involved in changing your name on an educational certificate. To avoid unnecessary hassle get in touch with the experts at Vakilsearch for professional name change services.

Also, Read:

Back to top button


Remove Adblocker Extension