Save Taxes with Expert Assisted ITR filing.
Starts from ₹799 onwards

Incorrect Particulars On A PAN Card? Here’s How You Can Fix It

By filling out the online application form, the central government provides an option for changing mistakes on PAN cards. If a PAN data correction or change is requested, the applicant must provide further documentation to support the request.

It is now incredibly easy to make adjustments to your PAN card and can be done in online and offline mode. The processing fee for making corrections to your PAN data is significantly ₹96 ( ₹85 + taxes)

With the multiplicity of data records, it’s not uncommon to receive a government ID with an incorrect address, misplaced digits of your date of birth or a misspelt name. An additional problem with PAN cards and driving licenses often is that the image on the card is unclear.

The good news is that for PAN card changes, there is no need to attest and post documents physically. All you need to do is log in to the NSDL website. You will need to select Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data / Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data) under the Application Type panel and a nominal fee of INR 120 for Indian nationals needs to be paid.

If you’ve noticed any such inadvertence in your copy of PAN card, here is how you can get it corrected:

  1. Enclosing documentary proof – For a signature or image mismatch, you will have to enclose the incorrectly printed PAN card along with furnishing documentary details of proof.
  2. Updating your address for communication – It is essential to update your address for correspondence. For Individuals, HUF, AOP, BOI or AJP, either residential or office address is mandatory. In case of Firm, LLP, Company, Local Authority and Trust, Name of office and complete address of the office are compulsory along with Pincode.
  3. Where there are just minimal corrections  Requests for change (marginal correction like spelling correction, expansion of initials, etc.,) in applicant’s or father’s name need to be supported with suitable proof of identity containing corrected data.
  4. Where there are significant changes – In the case of a different printing of the name in applicant’s or father’s name, the application has to be supported with such proof that will contain proof of change of name from the old to the new in addition to the proof of identity. The documents that shall be accepted as proof in this case are:
  • For married ladies – change of name on account of marriage – marriage certificate, marriage invitation card, publication of ‘name-change’ in gazette, copy of passport showing husband’s name (or vice versa).
  • For individual applicants other than married ladies – publication of `name-change’ in gazette.
  • For companies – ROC’s certificate for name change.
  • For partnership firms – revised Partnership Deed
  • For other categories which are registered organisations (AOP/Trust/BOI/AJP, etc.) – the revised registration/deed/agreement.
  • For Limited Liability Partnership – Registrar of LLPs certificate for a name change
  1. Correction of Date of Birth: Request for correction of date of birth (for individuals) and date of incorporation (non-individuals) will have to be supported with documents issued by competent authority containing the correct date.

What qualifies as sufficient documentary proof?

In case of inadvertence in your name in the PAN card, you will need to provide supporting documents for correction or change in PAN data, like name, father’s name and date of birth. A list of such documents can be checked at : However, for easy reference, here is a basic checklist that might help you ascertain what documents you may need.

Adequate proofs for a correction in Date of Birth:

A copy of any of the following has to be attached for changing the date of birth:

  • Aadhaar card or
  • Elector’s photo identity card; or
  • Driving license; or
  • Passport; or
  • Matriculation certificate or Mark sheet of a recognized board; or
  • Birth certificate
  • Photo identity card issued by the Central Government or State Government or PSU
  • Domicile certificate issued by the Government;
  • Pension payment order; or
  • Marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriages; or
  • Affidavit sworn before a magistrate stating the date of birth

Adequate proofs for a correction in Address:

  • Electricity Bill; or
  • Landline Telephone or Broadband connection bill; or
  • Water Bill; or
  • Consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill; or
  • Bank account statement, Depository account statement; or Credit card statement.


For the purpose of proving the incorporation and address of a company, partnership, or LLP, a copy of the certificate of registration issued by the Registrar of Companies, Registrar of Firms, or Registrar of LLPs respectively shall suffice.


Back to top button


Remove Adblocker Extension