Learn the several ways through which you can know if your GST registration is cancelled and why it is important to know if the registration is cancelled.
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a value-added tax that is levied on the supply of goods and services in India. GST is intended to replace several indirect taxes that are currently levied by the Central and State Governments, including Value-Added Tax (VAT), Central Sales Tax (CST), Service Tax, and other taxes. Under GST, taxpayers are required to register with the GST authorities and file periodic returns reporting their taxable supplies, input tax credits, and any tax payable or refundable. If you are registered under GST, it is essential to keep track of the status of your GST Registration.
In certain circumstances, your GST registration may be cancelled. In this article, let us discuss in detail how you can know if your GST registration is cancelled.
With the help of Vakilsearch, you can not only register for GST but also check if your GST registration cancellation. The platform’s team of experienced professionals can assist you with everything from GST registration to company registration, trademark registration, and legal document drafting.
To know more about these services or to get help from the team, you can visit the website of Vakilsearch or use the mobile app.
How to Know if GST Registration Is Cancelled?
Here are the several ways you can follow to know if your GST registration is cancelled:
Check the GST portal:
Make sure to follow these steps carefully:
- The first step is to visit the official website of the GST portal, which is Government Site.
- On the home page of the portal, you will find the ‘Services’ tab
- Click on it and select ‘Registration’ from the drop-down menu
- Under the ‘Services’ section, you will find the option ‘View GSTIN Information.’ Click on it
- Next, you will be redirected to a new page. There you will have to enter your GSTIN (GST Identification Number) along with the captcha code that is given there. Please make sure that you enter the captcha code rightly
- If you have entered your GSTIN and the captcha code correctly, then you will need to click on the ‘Proceed’ button
- Once you click on the ‘Proceed’ button, you will find the details of your GST registration, including the status of your GST registration
- In case your GST registration has been cancelled, the ‘Current Status’ field will mention that your GST registration has been cancelled.
- Check the GST Returns: If you have filed GST returns, you can check the status of your GST registration by accessing your GST returns on the portal. If your GST registration has been cancelled, you will not be able to file your monthly GST returns.
- Contact the GST Officer in Charge of your Jurisdiction: If you are unable to find the status of your GST registration on the GST Portal or by accessing your GST returns, you can immediately contact the GST officer in charge of your jurisdiction for assistance. You can find the contact details of the GST officer of your jurisdiction on the GST Portal.
- Check for Communication from the GST Authorities: If your GST registration has been cancelled, you may receive communication regarding it from the GST authorities about the cancellation. This communication may be in the form of a letter, email, or SMS to your registered address, mail id or mobile number. It is important to promptly respond to any communication from the GST authorities and take the necessary steps to rectify the issue at the earliest.
What to Do if Your GST Registration Is Cancelled?
If your GST registration has been cancelled, you will need to take the following steps:
- Determine the reason for the cancellation of your GST registration. You can do this by contacting the GST office or checking the notice of cancellation that you should have received
- If the cancellation was due to a mistake or oversight on your part, you may be able to have your GST registration reinstated by submitting the necessary documents and rectifying the issue
- If the cancellation was due to non-compliance with GST regulations, you will need to take steps to come into compliance before you can apply to have your GST registration reinstated. This may involve paying any outstanding GST amounts and submitting the required documentation
- Once you have addressed the issue that led to the cancellation of your GST registration, and you wish to have it reinstated, you will need to apply for revocation of the cancellation. To do this, you will need to submit a request to the GST office along with any supporting documentation that may be required. If you need any assistance with the revocation of your Cancelled GST registration, you can just opt for the quality services offered by Vakilsearch.
Reasons for GST Registration Cancellation
GST registration may be cancelled for various reasons, such as failure to file returns, failure to pay taxes, and other violations of the GST Act.
Contact GST Helpdesk
If a business is unable to determine the status of its GST registration through the GST portal, it can contact the GST helpdesk. The helpdesk can be reached through email or by phone, and the business can provide its GSTIN and other details to obtain information about its registration status.
Note: While your GST registration is cancelled, you will not be able to claim any GST credits or charge GST on the taxable supplies you make. Additionally, you will not be able to claim any input tax credits for GST paid on purchases made during this time. It is important to note that these restrictions will apply for the entire period that your GST registration is cancelled.
Thus, we can conclude that there are several ways you can know if your GST registration is cancelled. You can check the GST Portal, access your GST returns, contact the GST officer in charge of your jurisdiction , or check for communication from the GST authorities.
By following these steps, you can easily know if your GST registration is cancelled and take the necessary action if required. If you face any difficulty in this, you can seek advice from experts in Vakilsearch or just browse the website or the mobile app.
- Online Process for GST Registration termination
- Reactivate GST Cancellation
- Format for GST Revocation Letter