An individual can use the online application portal at http://www.chennaicorporation.gov.in/ to register and pay for professional tax and acquire a professional tax certificate.
A state-level tax known as professional tax is levied on income obtained from a profession, trade, calling, or job. The tax is calculated using income-based slabs for each individual, whether they are self-employed or employed by a company. The current limit on the amount of tax that may be charged is ₹2500.
Only the following States are subject to the professional tax: Karnataka, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Telangana,Gujarat, Assam, Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, Kerala, Odisha, Tripura, Meghalaya, Madhya Pradesh, and Sikkim.
There is a concept of composition scheme in some states. For instance, in the case of Maharashtra, the government announced a composition plan under which anyone who owed the government money at the rate of Rs. 2500 may pay it all at once in advance of Rs. 10,000 and have their debt for the next five years dismissed.
Any Exemptions on P Tax
Each state has its own set of rules and requirements for exemptions. For instance, the Karnataka PT Act exempts some individuals from paying PT. Except for Bangalore and Bangalore Rural District, all nonprofit and humanitarian hospitals or nursing homes located below the Taluk level in the State.
Directors of corporations with Karnataka registrations that have been proposed by financial institutions that the state government or other statutory authorities own or control. Foreign technicians working in the State are free from paying income tax for the relevant time if their employment is authorised by the Indian government ( exemption is for a period of 2 years from the date of their joining duty).
The Army Act, Navy Act, and Air Force Acts oversee both combatant and non-combatant civilian members of the armed forces. blind people who are employed or paid a salary. Personnel who are deaf, stupid, and earn wages. those who have a single cab or a single three-wheeled goods vehicle permit. Schools that teach English or Kannada shorthand or typewriting.
A person with a physical disability who has at least a 40% lifetime disability (subject to production of certificate from the HOD of Government Civil Hospital). a former service member who is not covered by Sl No. 1 of the Schedule a person who has had sterilisation surgery and has a single child, provided they can produce a certificate from the district surgeon at the government civil hospital attesting to their sterilisation.
Personnel of the Central Paramilitary Force (CPMF). people in charge of running educational institutions that offer lessons up to the twelfth standard or pre-university education in each of their branches. Persons over the age of 65 are not required to pay taxes. Additionally, if you practise a profession for fewer than 120 days in a year, no tax is due. On the applicability of the provisions, our specialists will provide guidance.
Basically, a state-imposed tax, known as a professional tax, is levied on staff revenue earned in exchange for providing services.
List of Required Documents
- Address verification of the organisation
- Photograph the pertinent executives, owners, and partners
- PAN card of partners, business owners, and directors as needed
- Address documentation for any partners, business owners, or directors.
- Information about employees’ salaries
- Financial statements of the company
- In the case of a firm, the certificate of formation and address verification
You can acquire a professional tax certificate by the process of registration and payment of professional tax online.
- An individual can use the online application portal at http://www.chennaicorporation.gov.in/ to register for professional tax.
- The applicant will receive their personal password and username through his cell phone and email in a safe manner after entering the credentials of their mobile number, email address, etc.
- The applicant will prepare their self-assessment form and submit their application for profession tax using Citizen Portal.
- The following documents must accompany the application:
A– certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies;
B– the articles of incorporation (In case of Limited Company)
C– Evidence for the Chennai office (Mandatory)
D– A certificate from the Commercial Tax Agency
E– A bank account or pan card information
F– Organisation & Employee Information (Mandatory)
- When submitting your application, there are no associated costs.
- After the person files the form, a receipt for filing a return with the professional tax Registration Number is produced.
- The Taxpayer must then pay the tax via the internet or another method of payment.
- On the COC portal, the Taxpayer may download a copy of the professional tax assessment order if he has paid the professional tax.
- When the evaluation order is created, the information regarding the assessment must be transferred to the appropriate ARO of the Region for verification of the professional tax assessment made by the candidate.
- After verification, the ARO will either validate the assessment of professional tax if it is proven to be accurate or modify the request for professional tax if it is under-assessed.
You can receive a professional tax certificate by following the steps mentioned above. VakilSearch can help you in obtaining a professional tax certificate without having to invest time and do the long process of registration and payment. VakilSearch will also make sure that you do not have to pay any extra taxes than you need to!
- How to Understand Professional Tax in India?
- Are there any online services for paying profession tax in Maharashtra?