Name Change

Changing Name on Educational Certificates

People change their legal names for a variety of reasons, sometimes, for no reason at all. It's all perfectly legal, but still complicated to handle on a variety of levels. Changing one’s name in their educational certificates is more or less similar to the name change process.

If you are someone who wants to do a name change or want to correct the misspelt name in your education certificates, this article will help you navigate the procedure. Before you embark on the task of changing or correcting your name, it would be advisable to check with your school or college about any specific formalities they follow.

Process of Name Change in Educational Certificates

The procedure for changing name on educational certificates is more or less similar to the procedure of legally changing your name.

The process involves 5 major steps:

  • Affidavit Submission
  • Ad in Newspaper
  • Gazette Notification
  • Verification
  • Approval

Affidavit Submission

First, you’ll have to create an affidavit for a name change with the help of a local notary. You will be required to clarify why you wish to change your name. For example, in some communities, after marriage, a woman is given a new name that she may wish to adopt legally, or someone may wish to change it because it is too long or difficult to pronounce.

Ad in Newspaper

Next, you must publish the name change in at least two local newspapers. One in an English daily and the other in a regional journal. This is to ensure your new name is known to the press. Additionally, remember to keep copies of the newspaper with you for future references.

Gazette Notification

Once it’s published, you should then get it notified in the official gazette of the state in which you reside. This can be done by filling the deed changing name form from the gazette office. Moreover, don’t forget to take duplicate copies. Submit the copies to the office for publishing in the Government press for gazette notification.



Now comes the part where your documents will be verified by the Department of Commerce and the Transport secretary. For this, you will need to send

  • A letter to the secretary stating that you want to change your name and request him/her to allow you to do that
  • The deed changing name form
  • At least 2 copies of the local newspaper that published your name change
  • Attested copy of the affidavit
  • A copy of your present identity (PAN card, voter ID card, passport, etc.).


After receiving approval from the secretary, you will have to submit it to the local gazette office. You will also have to pay a fee to get it published in the newspaper.

Having changed your name officially, now you can approach the educational institution and inform them about the new name. It would be helpful to visit the college administration office personally. Once you submit the documents ascertaining the change of name, then it’s only a matter of time before it gets incorporated into your educational certificate.

Important Points

While changing your name in the educational certificates, you need to be aware of the following points:

  • The majority of university and school registrars only handle name changes for students who are already enrolled
  • Previous students, on the other hand, would need a number of documents in order to modify their names
  • This requires a completed name change certification form as well as all supporting documents specified on the application form
  • In certain cases, a divorce order, marriage certificate, court-issued certificates, social security card, passport, and state identification cards or driver’s license are valid documents
  • Most educational institutions encourage students to submit these forms in person or by registered mail.

It’s also worth mentioning that in order to receive a substitute diploma under the new name, the name must have been legally changed in court or within the jurisdiction. Therefore, the procedure begins almost immediately after the name change request form and all accompanying documents are ready.

Also, Read:


Back to top button


Remove Adblocker Extension