Every FBO that seeks to register with the FSSAI or applies for an FSSAI certification must provide an FSSAI declaration during the process. Read all about the declaration in this article.
What Is the FSSAI?
The food industry is responsible for the safety and health of the people of the country. Adulterated and unhealthy food products can be harmful to the human body.
The FSSAI is responsible for regulating the entire food industry. The Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the supreme body that monitors the safety and health standards of all the food and beverage products in the country.
It lays down various guidelines and regulatory standards that each Food Business Operator (FBO) must abide by. The FSSAI has set standards for every kind of product produced and supplied in India for clarity and easy compliance.
Why Should You Comply with the FSSAI Standards?
People in recent times have become more vigilant and cautious in their eating habits. They tend to notice the credibility of the products they consume. If your product does not reflect the FSSAI certification number on its packaging, you might not be able to attract a good customer base.
The FSSAI being the apex body to monitor the nutritional quality of the food products, may impose hefty penalties on your business in case of non-compliance to its regulatory standards.
The Structure of an FSSAI Certification Number:
The FSSAI registration/ license number is a 14-digit unique number, which can be segregated into five sections. The 9th to 14th digit of the number is the unique serial number provided to each Food Business Operator.
Types of FSSAI Certifications:
In accordance with the annual turnover of your food business, you must apply for one of the following:
- Basic registration: If your food business has an annual turnover of less than ₹12 lakhs you must apply for registration
- State license: If the annual turnover of your food business is between ₹12 lakhs to 20 crores, a state license is what you should apply for
- Central license: With an annual turnover of more than ₹20 crores, you must obtain a central license for your food business.
The Process to Apply for the Online Application for an FSSAI Registration or License:
It is now easier to apply online for a registration or license with the FSSAI in just a few simple steps.
- Visit the FoSCoS portal
- From the list of Kinds of Business(KOB), select the one that your business belongs to
- If you want to register with FSSAI, fill out the ‘Form A’, and if you want to apply for an FSSAI license, fill out ‘Form B’
- Submit all the documents. Self-declaration is a mandatory document
- Make the payment for the application
- Your details will be scrutinized by the authorities. If satisfied, the FSSAI will grant you a 14-digit unique FSSAI registration/license number.
What Is the FSSAI Declaration:
To apply for registration or license, you must submit a declaration form as prescribed under rule 2.5.1 of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. In the FSSAI declaration, the food business can nominate an employee who is in charge of the branch or unit to take the responsibility or be held liable for any contravention of the FSSAI guidelines or rules.
The document must be in the declaration format as demanded by the FSSAI. The FSSAI declaration can be printed on the letterhead of the food business operator. This document can be signed by the proprietor, partner, director, or the person authorized to apply for FSSAI certification.
An improper or incorrect application may be rejected by the authority. Vakilsearch can help you do it the right way. Professionals at Vakilsearch can guide you through the entire application process, provide legal answers to all your queries, and get you your license or registration number in a short time.
- How Can FSSAI Requirements Help Your Food Business?
- What Is the Difference Between FSSAI and AGMARK?
- FSSAI Registration for People in the Food Industry