An FPO stands for a group of farmers and producers. FPO is a group that is made up entirely of farmers. A wide range of services, including technical assistance, marketing, processing, as well as other facets of crop inputs, are provided through Farmers Producers Organisations.
Organisations comprised of farmers and producers are referred to as FPOs. An FPO is a group that is made up entirely of farmers. The Farmers Producers Organization covers all agricultural inputs, including marketing and processing services for small farmers.
To produce, harvest, procure, grade, pool, handle, market, sell, primary export products of the Member, or import products and services for their advantage, the Farmer Producer Corporation is incorporated as a Limited, 2013. In agriculture, produce is anything that has been raised or harvested.
Farmer Producer Company’s major goal is to provide farmers with a better income by creating their organisation. Small farmers cannot reap the benefits of large-scale agricultural production because they lack the volume (inputs and output) to do so. There is also a lengthy chain of middlemen in agricultural marketing whereby the producers/farmers get just a tiny portion of the value paid by the final customer.
Since farmers are the principal customers and providers of inputs, they have more negotiating power in the Farmer Producer Company. A Producer Company, on the other hand, focuses mainly on farming and post-harvest processing. Farmer Producer Companies have been conceived and organized to formalize and regulate agricultural economic operations, including farmers and agriculturists (referred to as ‘Producers’).
To join Producer Company, you must be a “producer,” “producer institution,” or a combination of the two. As a producer, any individual who engages in any activity directly or indirectly linked to the production of any primary produce shall be considered.
Primary products include all by-products and products originating from supplementary operations, such as those produced by farmers from agriculture or by those working in handloom, handicrafts, or other cottage industries.
In this context, a “Producer Institution” refers to a producer corporation or any other organization that accepts the assistance of the Producer Company and Producer Businesses by its articles of incorporation and has only producers or producers and otherwise Farmer Producer Company and Producer Businesses as members.
Benefits of FPC
- The members’ responsibility is limited by the number of unpaid shares they own. As a result, the company’s losses are not covered by the wealth of its members.
- In a way, it’s like a cross between a corporation and a cooperative society, with all the advantages of both professional administration and the shared gains of both.
- Comparatively more liberated than Cooperative Societies regarding company management, the Companies Act 2013 governs the registration of producer companies.
- If feasible and necessary, the number of individuals may be expanded. There is no limit to the number of members.
- The Producer Company must be entitled to all tax and other discounts, licenses, advantages, rights, and exemptions provided to the inter-State cross-organization under any legislation.
- Admission to the organization is open to individuals and producing institutions (corporations and unincorporated ones).
- Farm-related earnings are not taxed if a producer company’s yearly sales are less than Rs. 100 crore.
- The Producer Company’s Board of Directors has the authority to hire and designate specialists to handle the company’s day-to-day operations.
- Favored by financial institutions, including banks, as well as governmental and non-governmental organizations that supply Farmer Producer Company with technical, managerial, and financial assistance.
- Producer Companies may operate across the nation, allowing them to grow their company in a free & professional way.
Members Of The Farmer Producer Company Get The Following Benefits:
- The farmers/producers have a lot of experience and know-how. Producer companies typically need assistance marketing their products, which is where the Producer Company takes over responsibility from when raw materials are procured until their completed products are delivered to end-users.
- Farmer Producer Company will increase its income by purchasing inputs in bulk, which will lower the total production cost, and then selling or marketing the products in bulk, which will raise the price of each unit of production.
- If a producer company is exclusively composed of producer organizations, the voting rights should be based on involvement in the business, and “one vote per member” shall apply.
- Members’ responsibility is restricted to the unpaid value of their shares so long as they meet their financial obligations. As a result, the company’s losses are not covered by the wealth of its members.
- According to the articles, the Farmer Producer Company’s board can give financial support to members via credit facilities and loans and advances.
Status of FPC
The display chassis FPC command may determine whether any of the router’s FPCs are malfunctioning. Detailed information on the router’s FPCs may be found in the command output. All of these states are possible for the status of the system.
As part of the Doubling Farmers’ Income concept, policymakers and development organisations seek to organise farmers into collectives, such as Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs). Five-year tax reductions were included in the 2018 budget to aid FPOs. The Indian government plans to establish 10,000 FPOs around the nation in the next five years as part of its 2019 budget.
FPCs may be made more financially feasible with the help of this central plan, which is being implemented by the agricultural ministry. As well as having access to pooled, inexpensive resources, the government will supply them with technology interventions to improve their production.
The Issues And Challenges
NABARD-commissioned research has shown that FPOs raise farmers’ net incomes by improving access to inputs & agro-services, institutional finance, marketing facilities, and the efficiency of farming operations. Some issues and policy gaps remain in the ecosystem. Several significant obstacles and concerns must be overcome to develop viable FPOs.
Professional Management Dearth Of Or Inadequate
The boards of directors of Farmers’ Organizations must be democratically chosen and overseen by CEOs and other senior staff who are well-versed in the business, well-trained, and well-qualified. There is, however, a lack of skilled workers in rural areas who can effectively run FPOs.
Inadequate Credit Availability
Due to a lack of collateral and a history of good credit, FPOs have difficulty getting loans at reasonable rates. In addition, the credit guarantee covers. Only Producers are eligible for SFAC’s collateral-free loan programme.
Organisations stockholders with a minimum of 500 members. A huge number of FPOs, notably those based in the United States. Little and medium-sized FPOs are unable to get access to the programme.
Lack of amenities and land fragmentation make it difficult for most farmers in India to attain the best value for the primary output. Regarding purchasing inputs at the lowest prices, adopting new technologies, getting access to financing and loans, and developing direct links to the market, producers in India benefit from the economies of scale provided by producer businesses.
When farmers band together to enhance their lives and raise their quality of life, the Farmer Producer Organization is born. The establishment of a farmer producer company creates a distinct legal entity for the business and entitles it to several tax breaks and perks. Other than that, it gives members various advantages, including bonuses, low-interest loans, and more. Vakilsearch can help you with any legal information and services regarding these topics.
- Checklist for Registration of Producer Company
- Some Features You Need to Know About the Producer Company
- NABARD Schemes for Farmer Producer Company