EPF is an initiative of the world’s largest social security organisation. It is aimed at strengthening social welfare and providing financial security to the Indian workforce. Here’s a step-by-step guide on the EPF registration process for employers.
Under the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1956, the employee’s provident fund organisation (EPFO) launched the employee’s provident fund (EPF) scheme. The scheme was designed to ensure the financial security of employees after retirement. Under this system, both the employer and the employee contribute an equal portion of an employee’s salary to the fund.
All companies and organisations, whose strength exceeds a total of 20 employees, have to mandatorily register for EPF. The amount contributed to EPF by the employer and the employee, in this case, is 12% of basic wages along with dearness plus retaining allowance. However, those companies with a strength of less than 20 can also voluntarily register for their employees, and in that case, the amount to be contributed to EPF is10%.
Further, this combined employee-organisation effort allows employees to put away a substantial nest egg for retirement purposes or any other unforeseen times of financial duress.
Documents Required for PF Registration by Employer
EPF registration for employers can be done through online and offline methods. But, before you begin the procedure, know that certain documents have to be kept handy. Additionally, the list of documents for PF registration by employers depending on the type of entity are as follows:
- Name of applicant/employer
- PAN card details
- Valid ID which includes driving license, passport, voter ID
- Address proof of the place in which the business is being carried out
- Residential address proof of proprietor
- Phone number.
- Incorporation certificate
- Memorandum of Association (MoA)
- PAN card details
- Details of the president of the society and its members
- Address proof.
- Certificate of registration of partnership
- Deed of partnership
- ID proof of all the partners of the firm – driving license, passport, voter ID
- Details of all the partners of the firm
- ID proof and address proof of the partners.
Limited Liability Partnership/ Company
- Incorporation certificate
- Director’s ID proof
- Director’s digital signature certificate (DSC)
- Details of all the directors
- Address and ID proof of the directors
- Memorandum of association (MoA) and articles of association (AOA).
- The bill of the first sale
- The bill of the first purchase of machinery and other raw materials
- Bank details namely account number, IFSC code, name, address, and other details
- Monthly strength of employees’ record
- Salary details
- Provident fund (PF) details
- Cross cancelled cheque.
Accordingly, depending on the type of entity, you must keep the documents required for the PF registration ready.
Procedure for EPF Registration for Employers
EPF registration for employers can be done by following a number of steps. Further, the online EPF registration option is by far the most preferred and convenient one. Once you have all the documents required for PF registration, the procedure for online EPF registration for the employer is as follows:
Visit the official EPFO portal
On the home page, click on – Establishment Registration
A new page will open up through which you can download the instructions manual for EPF registration for employers. Please note that before filing a new application, it is mandatory to get DSC registered
Further, on the next page, click on the sign-up option. In case, you have already registered, log in using your credentials, i.e., your UAN and password
On the sign-up page, enter your name, email, and other details accordingly
After signing up on this page, click on the option of – Registration for EPFO-ESIC
On the next page that opens up, click on the option of – Apply for New Registration
After clicking on this, you will have two options:
- Employees’ State Insurance Act
- Employees Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provision Act, 1956
Choose the most suitable option, and click on the Submit option. To determine which of the two options is most suitable for your organisation, get in touch with our experts
Next, a new page opens up, where you are required to fill in certain details. These include:
- Details of establishment
- Employer and employee details
- Identity proofs
- Details related to work and others
After this, you may review the summary of the document through the dashboard
Further, click on the Submit option to complete the registration
After this, the digital signature certificate (DSC) of the employer has to be submitted. If you don’t have one, don’t worry because our team can help you get one in no time
After the completion of registration, a confirmation mail is sent to the registered email address.
With the above-mentioned steps and requirements, you can easily undergo online EPF registration for employers. However one must keep in mind that even minor omissions during the registration process can prevent your employees from benefiting under the scheme and can also attract other legal issues.
In light of this, it is advisable to seek legal advice from specialists such as Vakilsearch. Hence, all you need to do is provide us with the right set of documents, and we’ll get your registration done on time.
Follow this link to know more about the EPF Registration Online Process For Employers