Has it been years since you married, but haven’t got a marriage certificate yet? Read this article to know what you can do.
Most of you have questions like “Can I get my marriage certificate?”. Maybe many years have elapsed since marriage. Or maybe a procedure wasn’t followed properly. But don’t worry, the answer is yes. You don’t even have to showcase your marriage invitation card to validate your marriage. Vakilsearch can help you with your Marriage Certificate easily and simply. Let’s see in detail how you can register your marriage.
Eligibility for Applying for Marriage Registration
For applying for marriage registration the only eligibility is age. The bride and groom need to complete the legal age as decided by the government of India at the time of marriage.
- Grooms must have the age of 21 at the time of marriage
- And, the bride must be over 18 years old.
Documents Required to Apply for Registration
- Fully filled application marked by both couples
- ID proof of the couples
- Further, proof of the couple’s birth date
- Two photos of passport size
- Additionally, 1 picture of marriage
- Separate Husband and Wife affidavits in an endorsed group
- Aadhar card
- Then, 6 copies of 2B-sized bridegroom and bride joint photographs
- Further, a late affidavit when a request is submitted three months after the date of registration.
Witnesses of Marriage Registration
It is important to get the signature of a witness to register the marriage. Therefore, there are certain rules to become a witness of marriage. They are:
- The witness should have been 21 years old
- Additionally, anyone who has witnessed the couple’s wedding will be a witness for the registration of marriage
- Moreover, the witnesses are chosen from each bride and bridegroom to be the nearest blood connection
- Preferably, they insist on one of the parents being the witness to the registration along with their identity and address verification
Certain documents are required from witness:
- PAN card
- Aadhar card
- Further, notarised affidavit with self-attested address proof and passport size photograph
Fees of Marriage Registration
- Within 90 days of marriage – ₹100
- After 90 days but within 1 year of marriage – ₹200
- After 1 year of marriage – ₹300
As of now, in many states there’s no late charge clause, some states have a late registration penalty of ₹250 per year. In compliance with the judgment of the Supreme Court, the marriage and marriage certificate must be registered within 60 days. If still, it’s not registered, don’t get worried. Because we are there to help you out and make you register your marriage easily.