GSTIN is also known as GST identification number or GST number. In this article, we will outline the step-by-step procedure on how to apply for a new GST number in India.
GST Number: an Overview
A GSTIN is a 15-digit unique identification number based on a PAN that is provided to each GST registered person. The new GST regime essentially consolidates several registration numbers for various indirect taxes such as excise tax, service tax, VAT etc. into a single registration number known as GSTIN.
Who Should Apply for a GST Number?
The following entities should mandatorily register for a GST number –
- Individuals/businesses registered under the tax services in the pre-GST regime (VAT, excise, service tax, etc.)
- Non-resident taxable person
- A person/business that supplies online information, database access, and/or retrieval services from outside the country to a person/business in India
- Persons needed to deduct TDS and TCS under GST
- Casual taxable person
- Input service distributors
- A person/business that supplies items through an e-commerce aggregator
- Additionally, persons selling on behalf of someone else, either as principal or as an agent
- All e-commerce aggregators that facilitate supply through their platform
- Inter-state suppliers of goods & services
- Any other person/business as notified by the central government/state government of India
How to Apply for a New GST Number?
Don’t wish to undergo the trials and tribulations of indirect taxation formalities? Apply for GST in 5 easy steps that can only be facilitated by the expertise of Vakilsearch’s GST experts.
Get in touch with Vakilsearch ‘s GST specialists to assess your GST needs and requirements
Our team of experts will then ensure that all your paperwork and documentation is in order, so as to facilitate hassle-free GST enrollment.
Our skilled legal team will then guide you through the GST registration process and complete the entire process on your behalf so that you can acquire your GSTIN as soon as possible.
The Vakilsearch team will also help manage any difficulties in terms of compliance and physical verification that may occur during the registration process.
In fact, our team of professionals can even help you out post-registration by handling all of your return filings to keep you GST compliant.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can a Single Taxpayer Have Multiple GST Numbers?
Yes, a single individual who is being assessed under the Income Tax Act might have several GSTINs for each of those States or Union Territories in which he or she operates business in.
2. When Does GST Registration Become Mandatory?
When an individual/ entity/ partnership/ proprietorship/ company crosses the threshold limit for GST registration, one must proceed by registering oneself under GST, as obtaining a GSTIN then becomes mandatory. Nevertheless, small enterprises with a turnover below the threshold limit, can also voluntarily register.
3. What Is the GST Registration Threshold Limit?
Businesses with an aggregate turnover of less than ₹40 Lakh (in case of exclusive supply of goods) (₹20 lakh if the business operates in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Puducherry, Sikkim, Telangana, Tripura, and Uttarakhand) and ₹20 lakh (in case of supply of services or mixed supplies) (₹10 lakh if the business operates in the states of Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura) need not register under GST.
- GST Certificate Download
- GST Search By Name
- Who Can Submit Application For Registration In Form GST Reg 09