Indian Railways – Food Licensing & Registration

Last Updated at: Oct 22, 2019
Indian Railways: Food Licensing & Registration

As per the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), the provisions under the FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 2011, the food catering services and restaurants operating from Indian Railways are covered under FSSAI Central Licensing. 

In 2018, the FSSAI and the Indian Railways together had decided to take a series of reformative steps to regulate the food catering services in the Indian Railways. This move was taken nearly 14 days post the incidence that took place in Puri-Howrah Shatabdi Express, where passengers reported of ailments due to the food served in the train.  

What is FSSAI for railway catering vendors? 

All food vendors, including petty retailers, hawkers, temporary food stall owners and other small-scale food business operators whose annual turnover not exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs or whose production capacity of food does not exceed 100 kg/ltrs per day shall require registration with FSSAI. FSSAI license is mandatory for catering services whose annual turnover exceeds Rs 12 lakhs. 

Who is eligible to apply for FSSAI license for railway food services?

Caterers – Turnover of up to or more than 12 lakhs/year

Restaurants – Turnover of up to or more than 12 lakhs/year

Clubs and canteen – Turnover of up to or more than 12 lakhs/year

Dhabas, boarding houses serving food, banquet halls that cater food, home-based canteens, Dabbawalas, food stalls (permanent and temporary), food stalls at events, fairs, expos, religious gatherings, etc., food establishments like fish sellers, meat sellers, and poultry shops – Turnover of up to or more than 12 lakhs/year

And also hawkers and mobile food vendors, tea sellers and petty retailers. 

Apply For FSSAI Registration

What are the required documents?

Following are the documents to be submitted for a new application for a permit to Indian Railway Licensing Authority:

  1. Form-B duly completed and signed (In Duplicate) by the Proprietor or Partner or the Authorized person
  2.  Blueprint of the processing unit demonstrating the measurements in meters or square meters and activity-wise region allotment (required for manufacturing and processing units)
  3. List of Directors/Proprietors/ Partners/Executive associate from trust/society with complete address and contact details (compulsory for companies)
  4. Name and list of supplies and machinery alongside the number, capacity and horsepower utilised (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units).
  5. Photo ID and address confirmation issued by the Government specialist Directors/Proprietors/Partners/ Approved Signatory
  6.   List of food items to be produced (In case of manufacturers)
  7. Authority letter with name and address of person, responsible as selected by the manufacturer. In addition, an alternative person and the person’s powers in helping the Officials with inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch.

8. Analysis reports of water that will be utilised in preparing food from an acknowledged or public health lab to affirm the potability (obligatory for manufacturing and processing units only)

9. Proofs of the premise (rent agreement/electricity bill/sale deed/etc.)

10. Partnership deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship/ Memorandum &  Articles of Association towards the formation of the organisation.

11.  Copy of certificate acquired under Coop Act-1861/Multi State Coop Act-2002 if it is a          Cooperative.

12. NOC from the producer (compulsory for re-labellers and re-packers as it were)

13. Food Safety Management System scheme or credential, if any

14. Milk supply source and procurement plan for milk as well as the site of milk pool centres and so forth in case of milk and milk products handling units whenever appropriate

15. Source of raw materials for meat and meat processing units

16. Pesticide residue reports of water in case of companies manufacturing packaged drinking water, mineral water or carbonated water from a recognized or public health research facility

17. Recall plan, if needed

18. Certificate imparted by the department of Tourism (compulsory for hotels only)

19. No Objection Certificate from district municipal board

20. Form IX: proposal of persons by an organisation alongside the Board resolution

21. For transporters, documents for turnover or self-declaration of the number of vehicles

22. Declaration forms if from Delhi or Himachal Pradesh

How to apply for FSSAI for Indian Railways?

To be involved in food catering services with Indian Railways, Food Business Operators (FBOs) need to apply for Central License online on Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS). As an FBO, you can also track the status of your application online. All the supporting documents must be uploaded electronically.

 The procedure is as follows:

Step 1: Visit the website and sign up and register with details like name, address, company name, etc.

Step 2: You will get a password and username to your registered mobile number and email id

Step 3: Login using the credentials and select “Apply for License/Registration” from “License/Registration” tab and then select “Central Licence” option.

Step 4: In the next page, fill in the Form details, food category, quantity (in case of Processing Unit) and other details as mentioned. Click “Save and Add” button and continue. 

Note: You can add more categories if applicable

Step 5: Complete the next set of details on the next page. Upload the supporting documents. Click “Save and Continue”

Step 6: Now you will be redirected to the “Payment Confirmation” page. You can preview the application and then click “Proceed for Payment”. 

Step 7: Make the payment and upload the FORM-B. 

Step 8: Your application is now submitted successfully and you can also take a printout of the application for reference.