FSSAI Registration: How to get FSSAI Central License?

Last Updated at: Mar 03, 2020
FSSAI Registration_ How to get FSSAI Central License

If you own a food business, then you would have heard about what FSSAI is all about. A Food Business Operator (FBO) can run any type of business from a petty shop to a 5-star hotel. But the FBO must hold the food license which will be issued by the government before bringing it to the public. In this blog, you will know who can apply for FSSAI central license, documents and procedure to apply for the license. Know more on the eligibility, benefits and types of FSSAI here. 

What is FSSAI?

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) comes under the Ministry of Health & Welfare, Govt. of India. FSSAI ensures safety and reliability to consumers on the consumption of drinks and food products. Getting an FSSAI helps the food production company get more consumers for their product. 

What is the FSSAI Central License? 

An FSSAI Central License is issued by the central government to food businesses that operate across all the states within India. Further, the central FSSAI license is issued based on the capacity or annual turnover of the business. FSSAI license and registration can be procured online from the FSSAI website by filing FSSAI registration form or otherwise by approaching service experts.

Fssai License in India

Who can apply?

FSSAI Central License can be applied by the food business operators who manufactures the proprietary food, the food catering services at seaports and airports, and who owns 100% export oriented units. Eventually, the food catering services at ports of Cochin, Mumbai, Chennai, Kandla, Tuticorin, Visakhapatnam, Kolkata, Marmagoa, JNPT and/or airport located at Kolkata, Trichy, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Amritsar, Trivandrum and Ahmedabad can apply for the FSSAI Central License.

NOTE: Proprietary food covers those foods which are not standardized in Food Safety and Standards (Food Product Standards and Food Additives) Regulations and  Food Safety and Standards (Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Food for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Food, and Novel Food) Regulations. 

Also, units that have premises in Central Govt. agencies and the units under Central Govt. agencies like Defense etc. can apply for the Central License. Furthermore, the FBOs who are large manufacturers, importers, exporters dealing in a large-scale food business need to obtain FSSAI registration from the Central Government.

Documents required for the FSSAI Central License:

  1. Form- B completed and signed by the proprietor or partner or authorized signatory.
  2. Blueprint of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
  3. List of Directors / Partner / Proprietor / Executive Members of Society / Trust with full address and contact details (Mandatory for Companies only).
  4. Name and list of equipment and machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horsepower used (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
  5. Photo identification and address proof issued by the Government for Proprietor / Partner / Director(s) / authorized Signatory (Optional).
  6. List of food category. (For manufactures only).
  7. Authority letter with name and address of a responsible person nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspection, collection of samples, packing and dispatch. (For manufacturers and processors).
  8. Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as an ingredient in food from a recognized / public health laboratory to confirm the portability. (Mandatory for manufacturing and processing units).
  9. Proof of possession of premises such as Rental Agreement. (Optional).
  10. Partnership Deed or Declaration for Proprietorship or MOA & AOA along with Certificate of Incorporation and List of Directors with the address. (You must upload three pages if it is a company: First Page – Certificate of Incorporation, Second Page – Authorization of food business activity and Third Page – List of Directors with addresses).
    NOTE: A partnership deed or a partnership agreement is a document that has a framework of the rights, laws and responsibilities of all parties in detail. Moreover, it acts as a guide.

    know more on fssai central license

  11. Copy of certificate obtained under the Coop Act – 1861 / Multi-State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (If applicable).
  12. NOC (No Objection Certificate) & Copy of License from the manufacturer (Mandatory for Relabellers and Repackers).
  13. Food Safety Management System Plan or Certificate (if any).
  14. Source of milk or procurement plan for milk, including the location of milk collection centres in case of milk and milk products processing units. (if applicable).
  15. Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if applicable).
  16. Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged mineral water and/or carbonated water from a recognized / public health laboratory.
  17. Recall plan (if necessary).
  18. NOC from Municipality or Local Body (optional).
  19. Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU (Export Oriented Units)
  20. Supporting documentary proof of turnover.
  21. NOC/PA documents issued by FSSAI.
  22. IE (Import-Export) Code document issued by DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade)
  23. FSSAI Form IX: Nomination of Persons by a Company along with the Board Resolution.
  24. Certificate provided by the Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotels).
  25. Documentary proof of turnover or self-declaration of the number of vehicles (Mandatory for Transporters).
  26. Declaration Form.


  • Firstly, the food business operator has to fill the application Form B with the required documents and fees. 
  • Therefore, a Unique Application Reference Number will be provided.
  • Make sure to submit the necessary additional information, if the application seems to be incomplete.
  • And so, the FBO may start the business after 60 days if the authorities provide no such responses.  
  • Thus, a Unique application ID will be provided. 
  • Furthermore, inspection of the premises will take place after receiving the food business operator’s application 
  • Thus, the authorities will issue an inspection report.
  • If no inspection takes place, then the FBO may start the business after 60 days. 
  • Commonly, you will get the license if the formalities are successfully over within 60 days of the period.
  • If the inspection report is not processed, then the FBO may start the business after 60 days. 
  • Consequently, check if the authorities provide you with an improvement notice or suspension notice or cancellation notice. If you get any of the notices, then you should process a fresh application after 90 days. 

Vakilsearch helps you in getting your FSSAI Central License legally and with ease. Accordingly, we will help you in running your medium food business by providing all the necessary documents successfully. Moreover, you can check your FSSAI license number online. Happy fooooood-ing!

Senior Executive - Content in Vakilsearch | Former TEDxSKCET Licensee | Content Marketing | Psychology | Engineering (IT) | Google Developers Group (GDG) co-organizer | WTM Ambassador